911 dialed today...

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by bmshehan, Feb 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

If you ever plan on using a gun to protect yourself you need to practice shooting one handed. Both hands as well. In a pistol fight, 63% of all wounds are to the arms/hands. Untrained people will focus on the other persons gun, and that where the bullets tend to go ;) If you cant control the gun one handed with your off hand, then you have too much gun for yourself.
    Also, slides don't bite. It's a common wives tale. I can hold my thumb behind the slide of any of my pistols (done to simulate failures during training), all the way up to my .50AE, and it's fine.
    And skip on the kel-tec. Frustrating, unreliable POS's IME. If you want those ballistics in a pistol, look to the Five seveN

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

that's a nice piece there Kogle.. hmm I should take a pic of my pps huh

4. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I've had the slide on my old Jennings 9mm bite me before but this was a really awkward gun to hold and the grip was very small even for my average sized hands...
    Thanks Iraf! Yes, let's see a picture. I'm a gun junkie, I like them all. Well most of them anyhow. ;D

5. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Agreed I can shoot my handgun with both left and right hands, and slides dont bite as long as the gun fits your hand's build properly I bought a gun once out of just wanting it instead of really getting a proper fit first and ended up with stitches cause it just wouldnt work for hands my size

6. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

PPS Pics

I have the measuring tape out just to show how small this bugger really is, amazingly it fits my big hands really well, I almost got the XD Subcompact .40 but god I'm glad I got this instead it shoots wonderfully for a sub-compact
    The pic in the case shows the multiple backstraps it comes with to help with fit on large and small hands, also you can totally remove it to 100% disable the pistol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  7. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Sweet piece. My brother had a P99 but I think he got rid of it.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Totally agree with that. Need to be able to control with either hand by itself. Also need to be able to pull the slide and change mags with either hand. It's better to palm the slide instead of using your finger tips to pull it. In a situation, adrenaline often causes people to lose fine motor skill. Practice practice practice.

I disagree with this. I've seen enough snake bites to know its not a wives tale (why are they called "old wives tales" anyway?). Perhaps skinny thumbs or a particular firearm won't do it...

And I'm also a Kel-Tec fan. I find them extremely reliable. The failure reports I've read are after 100+ rounds in a single session. In a real life situation, you'll empty your mag (almost a guarantee) and you might have a second mag handy. But 100 rounds - extremely unlikely in a real world scenario.

My backup cary is a Kel-Tec PF9. It will start to fail at about 170 rounds. Once it cools back down, it takes another 150 or so rounds before it starts to fail again (and by fail, I mean misfeed). I would argue this is a very reliable weapon for any practical purposes. (I own 3 Kel-Tec's and currently shopping for a fourth (rifle)).

My glock on the other hand... I've shot 1000 in a single session (ran out of ammo). My goal was to see how many rounds I could go in a session before it misfed or failed in anyway. It never did. Remington rounds, 115grain, 9mm, FMJ, BTW. I've never had a failure on this weapon. Though I did bend the slide and had to have it replaced... but that was my own fault.

10. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Nice pickup Ogle!! Hopefully we will be able to go shoot this weekend.

Hopefully I will be posting pics of my new one soon... several weeks away however!

11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I can shoot right or left one handed. Not a normal practice, but can if I have too... My guns range from .22 to .45 with alot in between for pistols. Rifles from .22, .35, .30-30, all the way to a .300Win Mag with alot in between, as well a an assortment shotguns from .410, 12 & 20. Not to mention prebans (AK, UZI, etc). Have had a LTC since I was 18 & been handling guns since I was 7. Also, if you hold your thumb behind a slide when firing, you will break your thumb or at least tear a tendon. Slides do bite seen it plenty of times, from people resting their thumb where the slide & frame meet. To say that is like saying the M1 thumb doesn't exist either.

(For those who have never heard of the saying or loaded a M1 Grand. It's a WWII era rifle. VERY acurate, .30-06 round, 8 round clip that is loaded from the top while the bolt is pulled back. When clip is loaded using your thumb, you must pull you hand as soon as the clip is loaded, if not you get a firing pin through your thumb. Yes, ouch! Thus the saying M1 Thumb. Also, when the last round is fired, the clip is automatically ejected with a cling sound. That sound became a problem, thus the enemy knew that the soldier was empty)

12. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Too bad... Not badly priced... Hey did Thunder-Five go out of business?? The website no longer works.. I wanted to buy one.... :(