911 dialed today...

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by bmshehan, Feb 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

So here is the scoop... my wife calls me when I'm on my way home from the Indiana University basketball game tonight (got our first Big Ten win, woohoo!) and says she was laying on the couch and it sounded like someone kicked the garage side door in! She asked me what to do and I told her to call the cops ASAP! (She asked the number, ummmmmm ya 911 is pretty universal isn't it:p;D) So within 10 minutes they came and looked around and everything checked out. When I got home they just left. Had a friend of mine that is in SWAT come over and he looked around and noticed that a glass panel in the overhead door had a crack straight up the middle... it wasn't there earlier. So our best guess is seeing that it is -14 tonight the glass popped and she thought someone broke in. Scared the crap out of me as my 7 month old daughter was also home and I wasn't there to protect them. I've already decided that I'm going tomorrow to apply for my lifetime handgun/ concealed weapons permit. I have been meaning to do it for a while (I'm a hunter also) but have been putting it off. No more. After talking with my buddy on SWAT the break ins have been increasing dramatically with the economy in the crapper and he said it is still rising... But at least this story had a happy ending!

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Glad everything turned out for the best. I've had my LTC since I was 18 here in MA, mind you is one of the hardest states to get one. As well as I have out of state LTC for my surrounding states as well. Still the best home protection is a shotgun. I bought a Mossberg 500 Tactical Cruiser about 4 months back, for about $350.00 bucks. Which is a legal pistol gripped with a breaching barrel. It can fire 3" 12G, but it bites! Load it with 00Buck. Believe me, when they here is first round getting chambered, they don't want to stick around. Thought a nice Bushmaster AR15, with the tactical light, works too.. ;D

Quoted From Bushmaster's Website "With a Bushmaster for security and home defense, you can sleep tight knowing that your loved ones are protected. Bushmaster offers everything you need to ensure the safety of you and your family. Our high-quality pistols, carbines, and rifles are extremely reliable, easy to shoot, and include lightweight carbon models that are perfect for women. And with their intimidating looks, all Bushmasters make a serious impression. Any gun will make an intruder think. A Bushmaster will make them think twice. "

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

No burglary alarm :confused:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

+1 on handgun for protection. +500 for a trigger guard.

6. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

Ever seen the movie Red Dawn?
    I'll put it this way, momma raised me to be able to take care of my family. I would be more worried about the person who tried to break in than my family. Between 5 - 9mm's in various places and two shotguns (one above my door in my room and the other above the bathroom door) ......

Yea, I'm not worried..

I would too, rush out and get that permit. I strongly suggest everyone of "RIGHT MIND" have a permit to have a weapon on them. I would also suggest major training for the entire family on proper gun usage and respect for what they do. Arkansas, where I live, actually gives away trigger locks for registered gun owners. I say these are a MUST for any gun owner. Specially with children.. REGUARDLESS if you think your kids are responsible.

-Fritts

7. IBMGeek

If you don't have an alarm, I would put one first. If you're sleeping and they break in, the gun wont help much.

8. Click Here!

9. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

6 Min-Pins, they go nuts when Crickets jump into the sliding glass door!

heh

-fritts

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Good call getting on you concealed permit. Ive been instructing for about 3 years now. And make sure the wife knows how to handle one as well, as you already know, you might not always be around. I'm a big advocate on women being able to protect themselves.
    Shotgun wise, I like my benelli's ;D 3 1/2" for the 12 gauge. ;D Sometimes a lighter load can be better than buckshot though. Say, a #2 or #4. Remember, that more numerous, smaller pellets will make it much more difficult for the surgeon ;) And if you just want a single one for all of you, a 20 gauge will stop a man in his tracks just fine and you won't have to worry about your wife handling it with much trouble.

11. IBMGeek

:hehe: If thats the case, poor guy who breaks into your house :uzi::wreck: :dead:

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Actually, at least IMHO, I recommend the biometric safes. You can bolt it to the stud in the wall, nightstand, whatever. Just a fingerprint in and your done. You wont have to worry about fumbling around with complicated keys, locks, combination, etc in a high stress situation like someone coming into the house. Just put your finger on the sensor and your in. And more importantly, there's no keys to discover or combo's to figure out for the un-authorized users (children).