90g-lionfish tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by txmudnhunt, Feb 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. puma

puma Flamingo Tongue

For a HOB skimmer it seems most people recommend either the reef octopus or aqua remora c. I dont have any experience with either but they seem popular. looking into those 2 might be a good start for u .

2. Click Here!

3. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

The part im stuck on with the HOB skimmers is do i get one for a 90g tank, or something in the 150 gallon range....
    I hear the higher you go the better your tank, then i hear it doesnt matter they all do the same thing.

4. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Please take my advice on this one, dont get a powder blue (yet). They are a lot more demanding than people think, and they need a ton of room, a VERY mature / stable tank, and loads of flow. The tang will be super cramped in a 90 gallon especially if it has to dodge a lions spines and liverock to move around. Your pushing it with a V. lion as they get really big in a hurry, but might be OK alone in something as small as a 90.

Your biggest problem is going to be finding tankmates that wont be a meal for the lion but at the same time not overload what your tanks biological filtration can handle. If you want a lion with tank mates in a 90, start looking into the dwarf species.

~Will.

5. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Skimmer size really depends on what kind of bio-load your planning. A lightly stocked 90 would be fine with a skimmer rated for 100-125 gallons, if your looking to cram it full of large, heavy waste producing fish then look for something that can handle around 200+.

~Will.

6. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

well see heres what im thinking, two dwarf lions. and tangs are really the only nice looking tankmates besides the frogs and scorpions that are compatible. an eel would be too big for the tank so i crossed them off the list, i thought about one large lion but i can settle with the two dwarfs, so i can have one or two more fish in there that wont become food. and of course the clean up crew, which would probably be a star and some shrimp or crabs, but i know i run the chance of the crab and shrimp becoming food for the lions. the only tangs i really like are the powder blue ones, the yellow tangs are a little too common for me to take to

7. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

dwarfs are kinda hard dude. i couldnt keep the two i tried alive for very long. good luck. a tank mate could be a leaf scorpionfish if you want to take the time to spot feed it.

8. Click Here!

9. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

10. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

A dwarf lion, snowflake eel, dwarf angel, and a smaller tang might be OK. Powder blues are beautiful, but they really need large (180+) mature tanks to thrive long term.

~Will.

11. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

every place ive been reading online says that a powder blue with one dwarf lion wouldnt be a problem and the 90g tank is enough space.... I guess ill go back to the drawing board and start figuring out a different way to go

12. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

Tanks on hold for a bit, Think i might be dealing with a case of ick on my oscar tank.... not fun. I am NOTTTTT happy