90 tank stand and questions

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Irrumater, Aug 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Irrumater

Irrumater Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Been working on the stand for my 90 andhave kinda come to a sticking point and need some help

Heres pretty much where I am

[​IMG]
    today I finally picked up my 40 breeder sump tank .

The tank fills up more than I plan on and had to take the back vertical supports out to put it in to test fit.

Here it is inside with the front doors open
    [​IMG]

I wanted to go completely hidden hinges but made the inside fit a bit to tight and they wouldnt fit. I ordered so full inset wrap around hinges online so only the barrell shows when closed.

Now I need some opinions on stand structure. As you can see from the below photos each front corner is actually 4 vertical 2x4 , 2 in front and 2 on sides. each rear corner is also 2 2x4. The top of the stand has double 2x4s with the 3 1/2 dim vert and then a 2x4 with the 3 1/2 hortizontal on front and sides and a single 2x4 on the back covered with 3/4" ply shell and top, the top also has 2 center supports

[​IMG]
    rear corners

[​IMG]
    front corners and center bracing

My delima is if I need to reinstall the 2 vertical braces I had in the back. its about a total of 50 inchs in length so about 43 " span across the backwith no vertical support.

any thoughts

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Looks good. I would suggest you put that center support back in. I see that the sump is snug, but it appears that you have 1.5"(the width of a 2x4) behind it. The center of this is where I would add in the new vertical brace.

4. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I would have gone with 2 2x4s on the back length, glued and nailed (I would use PL Polyurethane Premium Construction Adhesive for that and would use it all the way around the perimeter). If you double up the back one, I think it will be fine. Although, I like to over-build things so I would have gone with 2 2x6s all the way around the perimeter. That would hold an ox. But doubled up 2x4s all the way around the perimeter is still strong enough.

5. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

+1 that would make it nearly indestructable :joker:

My original store bought 2x4 stand had no center braces for my 90 and lasted almost 20 years before I built a bomb proof replacement out of 4x4's :jester:
    I would cut a single 2x4 brace to fit snugly between top and bottom without securing it so you can remove it if needed for sump repair/maintenance.