90 Gallon Wave Front Build (A LOT OF PICTURES)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by scott26, Mar 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Well I figured I would start a build thread on here.

It all started with a great purchase off craigslist I got this:
    90 Gallon Aquarium
    40 Gallon Sump
    20 Gallon QT
    24" Light PC Fixture
    20 Gallon Stand
    40 LBS. Base rock

All for 75.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then came the stand thanks to mlogsdon on Centralcoastreefkeepers.com I was able to figure out how to build a stand with a curve in it like his. And with his help it is just about done these are just some progess pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then came time to drill the aquarium after reading up on the Bean Animal style overflow system I figured it was the best system for me mainly because of all the failsafes. You can read up on it at this link Silent and Failsafe Overflow System - Reef Central Online Community it is alot of reading but very useful info. Here are some pics of it set up. I didn't get a chance to take any pics while drilling sorry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is still alot more to come but it will be about a month before I can start cycling I am going to try and do a wet run of the system after I get my plumbing done and get a return pump.

-Scott

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
    4 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

I am going to be adding a calfo overflow box to this aquarium it will be 36" wide leaving me about 6" on each side for some hang off the back returns with loc line I am planning.

And I am going to use a mag 9.5 for the return pump I think I am still on the fence about wether to get that or a mag 12 considering the total tank capacity will be 120 gallon operational and about a 4' head loss.

4. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Well I was able to get some more stuff done this past weekend and now have had time to post it up I got the tank drill as you can tell from the earlier pictures and I got most of the upper piping all fitted. After that I painted the PVC flat black to make it a little less noticable from the top since I am planning on having an open top aquarium with no canopy... at least for now.

[​IMG]

I was also able to get the doors started and mostly finished with the help of mlosdog again. What we did was we cut about 5 5" strips of wood in half to make about 10 smaller strips we then beveled the edge on one side of each to make it a little easier for the curve of the door to form. After we got the doors shimed in placed from the front we got some fiber glass cloth and fiber glass resin and with the doors in place we applied it to the back to make the doors keep there form after we take the shims out.

It turned out pretty well I will still need to get the small cracks that are left filled with wood filler to really hide any noticable differance.

I also still need to buy one more piece of wood in order to get the middle finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also renforced the stand with 4 additional 2x4 supports in each corner so there are now 3 2x4's in each corner.

[​IMG]

And today I am going to tap the open channel standpipe cap to 3/8 pipe in order to get a jhon guest fitting to be able to fit in it.

-Scott

5. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Not alot of progress but I was able to drill and tap the open channel standpipe to accept a 3/8 male pipe by 1/4 compression fitting in order to get my air line to go to the inside of the overflow box. I also put a 90 on the top of the standpipe to make it so there is a sharper turn down.

[​IMG]

I still need to get the one piece of wood for the doors to finish those off which I should be able to do this weekend if I find the money for it. :)

I also got a quote from a local glass shop it will only be $20 for the overflow box to be cut out for me then prolly $5 or $10 for a tube of silicone.

6. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

I have this linked on my other site so I just kinda bulk posted to bring this one up to date. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

That stand is top notch, great work on the whole thing. It will be fun watching this grow!

8. Click Here!

9. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Thanks! this will be my first real build since I started my 55 gallon 3 years ago I havn't upgraded. With the problems I am having in my 55 this will be a fresh start with alot more knowledge I have gathered from all the reefing forums. And it should tide me over till I buy a house and really get a big one :D

10. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

That tank is really cool. i didn't even know there were tanks like that. You plan on using a blue or black background?

11. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I like it.. I had to read up on that overflow system and I have to say its a cool design. Not to mention the custom stand, good work.. Im following along this one.

12. card shark

card shark Flamingo Tongue

NICE score.stand looks great also.thank god for CL.i have bought alot of stuff from there lately.keep us posted.JOE