90 Gallon Setup Complete (Almost)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by MisterZJ, Sep 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MisterZJ

MisterZJ Plankton

Hey guys! I hope everyone is having a great Labor Day Weekend! I just finished up my 90 gallon project last night. I successfully drilled 4 holes in the back of the tank, installed bulkheads, installed internal overflow box, plumbed the whole setup, and did a fresh water test run! EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT! I have one question that I hope some of you can give me your input on. I wanted to use a Y connection for the return split, but Lowes did not have one, apparently that is an uncommon PVC fitting. So, I used the 1 T instead. I also incorporated several quick disconnects for when I move the tank, makes it easier to disassemble. I was going to use 2 45's for each drain at the back of the bulkhead, but I didn't want it protruding quite that far out, so I went with 2 90's instead. I have heard bad things about 90 degree elbows, but I figured since it was for the drain surely it would be ok. Now, for my only question:

I am getting the common "gurgling" sound coming from the bulkheads when I have the two valves fully open on the drain lines. Now, I can counter this problem by slowly closing the valves until I have an equilibrium to keep the water level in the overflow box just barely above the bulkhead hole. This eliminates the noise; however, I don't feel "safe" by using this method. I would prefer both valves on my drains stay fully open in case of blockage or debri buildup. I have seen the "gurgle buster" thing in a couple of threads, but my problem is I have VERY limlited space inside the overflow box to install anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It works just fine with the valves slightly closed, but I just feel that could be an accident waiting to happen so to speak.

I would also like to hear any suggestions on additions I could add to my returns. All they are are 45 degree elbows painted to match the back of the tank. I like the design and simplicity of it. Perhaps if I got a reducer it would increase water flow/pressure? While preventing any creatures from swimming in there in the event of a power outage.

Your thoughts?

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. MisterZJ

MisterZJ Plankton

4. MisterZJ

MisterZJ Plankton

Some help please. This is the first time i've posted and not received any replies in days. I would appreciate some opinions and advice.

Thanks

5. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

i got something for you, hold ill go take a pic.

6. BluePhish

http://www.randystacye.com/dursostandpipe.ht

i would look at the first diagram of the compact durso, for over flow box. you could proly just add a 90 in to the bulkheads and then up. then drill a hole in the cap and most likely will have to use some 1/4 flexi tubing, to muffle the sound,

i use one in a overflow box and it is whisper quiet.

i can give you an image of mine if it will help more.

7. MisterZJ

MisterZJ Plankton

I appreciate the reply. The only problem is I have such a limited space to work with I am not sure if it would even fit in there properly. Like I said, I can fix the loudness by slowly closing off the ball valves on the drain lines, which raises the level in the box slightly above the bulkheads, which fixes the problem completely, but I just don't know if that would be 100% safe or not.

8. Click Here!

9. BluePhish

how many inches from center of bulkhead to the teeth of the overflow?

10. MisterZJ

MisterZJ Plankton

Maybe 2-3 tops. And the bulkheads are flush against the bottom of the overflow box.

11. MisterZJ

MisterZJ Plankton

Forgive the crudeness of this illustration, but after doing some reading and viewing photos of the Durso Standpipe or whatever it is called, something like this MAY work. If I were to get 3 90 degree elbows of pvc, have 1 angle straight up, then one making it horizontal, then one angled back down towards the bottom of the internal overflow box. Would this eliminate the need to adjust the drain ball valves to increase water level in the box and eliminiate gurgling noise? This would be a VERY cheap fix, and would make sense. But, then again, I don't want to do it if it won't accomplish the task of eliminating the gurgling noise. My main concern is I want to leave the ball valves fully open on my drain lines. The only reason I added them to begin with anyway was in the event I needed to completely eliminate drainage from the tank for some reason (water changes, maintenance, etc..). I am fearful that leaving them partially closed could be potentially dangerous to my carpet's health :) Please let me know your thoughts ASAP because I am getting ready to move.

Thanks,

Matt

Attached Files:

12. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I wouldnt close any ball valve for return or drain partially....leaves a space for build up and eventual clogging.