90 gallon on carpet - how to make it level?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by =Jwin=, Nov 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

We will be placing a new 90 gallon tank on carpet (where our existing 46 is). Because this tank is essentially double in size and weight, I'm worried about making sure it is exactly level.

Any tips or tricks on how to do this on carpet? The stand is MarineLife and flat bottomed. Should we rip up the carpet and put some plywood down on the floor instead? Leave the carpet?

I'm open to any questions or suggestions!

2. Click Here!

3. Trumptitan

Trumptitan Astrea Snail

What kind of carpet? The tank will squish all of the padding and carpet for the most part but you need to make sure that the tank is far enough off the wall that you are not sitting on the tack strip. I had my 90 on the carpet for many years with no ill effects.

4. Fernando77

Fernando77 Astrea Snail

+1 withTrumptitan.. you should have no issues. If for some reason its not level because of the floor you can grab some shims and slide them in as needed.

5. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Perfect, sounds great to me :) Most tack strips are just one to two inches wide, correct? Perhaps even smaller?

6. Drboomson

Drboomson Flamingo Tongue

i put my 120 on carpet....first i ensure the tank was level on stand...then i just hammered wood shims where it needed it after i filled it up and let it settle for a day or two

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Correct. Depending on the type of carpet. Just pull back the carpet and look if you want to be sure. Don't put the tank too close to the wall. Its nice to have a little extra room back there to clean.:)

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

My 125 is on carpet. I have it about 4" from the wall. I used wood shims to level (turns out houses built in 1890 may not have completely level floors ;) ).

10. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Call me dumb, but you can trim the shims after installing them, correct? I'd rather not have those sticking out under the bottom of the tank.

11. Oldreefer

Oldreefer Astrea Snail

I had the same issue with a 135 on thick carpet. Often the floor is harder against the wall so could be level initially and then settle more away from the wall. I used plastic shims that I got off of Amazon and they have worked great. Also they are tapered so can be adjusted later without completely removing.

12. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I wouldn't trim them until a week or two after filling the tank incase you have to re-adjust the leveling. when you're happy, get the utility knife and cut that sucker.