90 gallon DIY led plans.

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Rtm2017, Sep 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rtm2017

Rtm2017 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I’m planning a 90g reef tanking that I recently purchased and I want to make sure that my lighting plans are right. I know I want to keep SPS maybe some LPS, and if I can keep a clam on the sand that would be awesome.
    Right now I’m planning on the*48 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers*with 60 degree optics and hanging it 8-10” above the tank on 2x*5.9" x 16" Aluminum Heat Sinks with a 80mm fan on each heat sink.**so 24 lights on each heat sink and 12 cool white and 12 royal blue. *I'm not sure if I wanted to change any of the cool whites to neutral whites.

I wanted to make sure that this setup would support the coral I wanted to keep and that I'm not Doing something stupid, the wife might kill me if I buy this and it won't work!!!! Any advice and comments would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,
    Rtm2017

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

You are going to need more than that. Are you planning on going mixed, soft, or sps?

4. Rtm2017

Mixed, how much more would i need?

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

48 will be fine, you won't need more.

The only couple things I notice: You'll want each heatsink to be a little longer, and you might want wider heatsinks being you plan to mount them so closely to the water surface. 60deg optics are what you need to get decent penetration to the bottom of the tank, but you might need to spread them out on a wider heatsink to get decent front-to-back coverage.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rtm2017

Thanks Evolved for pointing out how small my heat sinks are. I just measured that over my tank and i think your right. now I'm debating between the 8.46" and the 10" on heatsinkusa.com. As for the length, there is a middle support on the top of the tank and the 2 openings are roughly 21" long and i didn't want to waste LEDs over the support.
    after measuring it over the tank the 18" looks like a better idea, leaves an 1 1/2" from the sides and middle support.

just need to decide on the width now. any advice?

7. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

I have a 65 gallon, same dimensions as a 90 but only 3 foot long. I just bought a 8.46 wide from heatsink usa and got it yesterday. Its plenty wide IMO. I think the 10 would be overkill, but its really up to you.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Agree, the 10" is overkill; the 8 would be fine.

18" sounds like a more appropriate length to me as well.