90 Gallon Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ReefSparky, Jun 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

So I'm thinking of doing this at first:

Removing my corals and fish, and most of the water from the 55, and placing into a 20 G. rubbermaid with an air stone. Get the 55 empty enough to get it out of the way, then put the 90 in its place.

Next, I purchased 60 lbs. of dry aragonite sand. I figure I'll pour this dry sand into the 90, then put about 10" or so of water on top; then put my live sand from the 55 on top of that new dry sand. Once that LS in in place, give it a slight stir with something thin, like maybe a chopstick, so get a small amount of LS to the bottom, and mix a tiny amount of new, dry sand into the top layer. Give this about an hour to settle, maybe skim any sludge or non-sand material off the top before adding water to fill the tank. I'm also thinking that as soon as the water level is high enough, add the LR and corals before topping off the tank to the top.

How does this sound? Any additional points of view?

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

4. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Could you put the dry sand in, add just enough water to moisten it, a "thick" mixture, add the sand from the 55, mix it by hand, then put a dinner plate in upside down to pour the water over so you don't mix the sand up too bad, then fill? I don't think there is any need to add a bunch of water before the live sand, they ship the stuff damp and it stays alive, and with such a short move I wouldn't think it would be a big deal. My 2 pennies... hope I can help somehow!

5. ReefSparky

6. ReefSparky

Bmshehan, my rationale for adding the dry sand, then live sand, then stirring; followed by maybe 12 inches of water--is to let the sandstorm subside that much faster, and to allow me to stir it maybe a few times, so I can siphon out the muck. I could be wrong, but I'm counting on the cloudy water resolving itself that much faster if the tank isn't full with water. I'm figuring this way, when I'm ready to add the rest of the water, the sand will be nice and clean. I do plan on using a plate with a pitcher or large glass, into which I'll pour the water until the tank is 1/2way full.

Keep the ideas coming! You're a big help!! Any point of view is helpful, as I see it. ;D

7. ReefSparky

OK, some final pics. for Bogie, since he asked. Here is the way things were in the old tank, and the new, empty 90G. This is going to be a lot of work! Enjoy, all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

How do you like the Banggai's?? Have you got them to breed successfully??

10. ReefSparky

The male is carrying eggs as we speak.

11. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Hey ReefSparky, don't use a big glass or a pitcher to pour the water in. Instead, get a small (low flow, maybe 100 gph) Rio pump/powerhead and some 1/2" tubing to pump the new water into the tank (over the plate, of course). It will be much less of a burden than pitcher after pitcher. (think 1 gallon pitcher x 80 to fill the 90 gallon with LS and LR).

12. ReefSparky

LOL Bogie, NO!! The pitcher isn't being used to carry the water to the tank. The pitcher will be sitting in the plate on the sand. The water will be poured into the pitcher. ;D;D