90 Gallon Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ReefSparky, Jun 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Ok, I finally stopped drooling again for now (Until Linda posts pics of her new set-up). I can't wait to get a 90+ tank with overflows.

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Looking awsome Dude. Must have missed this post as I have been working way too much here lately :(

[​IMG]

If you want to get the full effect of this U pipe you need to increase the size of the pipe at the bottom. If you are using 1" pipe then at the first 90 increase to 1 1/2" the go to next 90 and come up to just under the water level. The increase in pipe size will take some pressure out of the water flow and noise.

1 person likes this.
  4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

LOL, Otty!! That would be page three of this thread. You ARE working too much, man!!!! LMAO.

5. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Ya, I'm just catching up on it too, sorry sparky!! Must've lost it somewhere between flood, baby, work, etc.!! Is there water in it yet? (Saltwater that is!!) The only other thing I could think of and take this for what it's worth cause I don't even have a sump/fuge yet, but would it be worth it to put another valve on the horizontal pipe to the fuge so that you ultimately have control over the flow through the fuge?? If I figured it right you said you were pumping 600 gph and you expected 30%-40% to go into the fuge... 30% of 600 is 180 gph... kinda fast for a fuge isn't it? If anything it would just give you complete control over the fuge's flow if adjustments are desired. Like I said, I don't even have one I'm just trying to help where I can! But then again, if your talking with Tangster about this I don't know why I'm even opening my mouth!!

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Must have missed it...sorry to clutter the thread....:-/

7. ReefSparky

No saltwater in it yet. I'm wrapping up some loose ends. Yesterday I purchased 60 lbs. of aragonite sand and a 90 G. container of salt mix. I'm going to make the transition this weekend.

How's being a new father treating you and the wife? (I guess it would be new mother for her!) LOL.

I think a valve on the horizontal pipe at this point would be sort of overkill. I have a valve on the descending sump pipe before the tee, then another valve on the descending pipe on the sump side. Between those two valves I can pretty much dictate exactly what flows into the fuge. By opening up the upper valve and dialing back the lower one, it forces more water out the 'fuge side. Your suggestion is a good one though, I've considered it--but now that I've made a "dry run," I see the control I have, and it's plenty enough.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

Heck, I don't see it that way at all. I was just pokin' ya in the ribs. It's a good thing when you chime in on any thread! You're one of the poo-bahs here, as I see it.

Clutter my thread any time, man!!;D;D

1 person likes this.
  10. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

looks like its going to be a real nice set up!

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Don't know about a Poo-bah but I have learned a few things keeping aquariums for rolling into 24 yrs now.

12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Right on, just wanted to throw in my 2 pennies but as you said before that is the purpose of a dry run! Learned a lot from this thread... too bad my sump/fuge/wetdry will have to wait till I do a room addition, no room under the tank (a 10 gallon won't even fit) and it is in a bad spot in the LR so no chance of sitting it on the side!

Parenthood is going great, would enjoy some more sleep but what new parent doesn't say that?!?!?! Thanks for asking, project is looking great BTW, keep up the good work!!