90 Gallon Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ReefSparky, Jun 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I knew that was going to happen sooner or later. I just couldn't see your fuge getting much, if any, water flow with the way it was initially setup.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

When you're right, you're right. ;D

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

5. ReefSparky

I've never seen such a setup. Looks pretty effective. Seems like the water enters thru the sides (through the sponge), and the noise reducer floater is just a vent. Pretty cool.

Thanks for posting pics, Luna!!

Must be weird to be on the other side of the gun!! LOL. ::)

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thats it, you got it. Now the big Q is, where do you get one? Thats if you want the same set up. Luna

7. ReefSparky

I'm all set. The plumbing kit that came with my tank wasn't too great. The venting system was ineffective; resulting in gurgling and fluctuating water levels in the overflow.

Tangster helped me to make what I needed, and it works great. Doesn't make a sound, and it handles the flow of my 700GPH return pump. Pretty simple design (not surprisingly, Tangster suggested it), and works perfectly.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Textbook Durso. Good job!

10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

So much simpler than the stockman setup too. I like.

1 person likes this.
  11. ReefSparky

One of the less glamorous acts has been completed. I've painted the back of the tank. I've always painted my tanks. Zero maintanance, and no cheesy wallpaper!

I got a great paint set from HD including a pan, roller, roller wheel, a paintbrush (that I didn't use) and a fancy plastic wrapper! That was about $6. Rustoleum black paint was about $7 for the quart, of which I used almost all.

It took a few hours, to allow the preceding coats to dry before adding the next; as it was oil-based paint. But it's done, and that's the important part.

Tomorrow I might make the changeover.

Here you go, Luna. (and everyone else!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, if there's anything I can't stress enough, it's the importance of a dry run. (maybe a poor term in this hobby, but you get the idea). Had I not filled this tank and fuge and let it run with freshwater, I'd not have caught an important issue. Where the return locline rests on the overflow partition, it touches the hard plastic, and made a nasty vibration. So I removed the return, and ran a simple bead of silicone around the gap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will dampen and remove the vibration, and mean no noise! Additionally, the entire setup is nearly silent! That's WITH no sides or front on my stand! The sump/refugium is dead silent, and it's turning over more than 600 GPH.

I'm a happy man.

1 person likes this.
  12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Dont know why you had any vibraton, I have the same set up,even with the Loc-Line and no Vibration. Anyways, great job and kudos to you for taking your time and doing it right. Luna