90 Gallon Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ReefSparky, Jun 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Thanks everyone. I've been looking for a frogspawn for about 2 months, no kidding. Nobody has a specimen I'd buy. I'll keep looking. I do like the bubble and trumpet, though.

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Looking Great!!!

4. ReefSparky

Well I think I'm about done with the DIY aspect of the build. My last mini-project was to add my auto topoff. I had to drill a hole in the 20 Long sump/refugium to accomodate the float valve. It was a harrowing experience. At first I emptied the 'fuge all but about 2" in case of any breakage during drilling. I drilled for about 15 min's with a 1/2" glass/tile bit I purchased at Home Depot and towards the end, the glass began to crack. I took it real slow, cooled it down with water during the drilling, but the bit was not a hole saw bit, but rather a plain glass drill bit. It cut the glass with a bit of turbulance and the crack was inevitable I guess.

I've put marks on the ends of the cracks with a sharpie to keep abreast of any advances. None so far. The cracks are all above the water level. We'll take it a day at a time for now.

Maybe I'll build an exact replica of the sump/fuge at my leisure and have it drilled by this mirror store by me for $10.

Here are the pics. The topoff system is amazing. It's connected directly to the RO/DI system which has an ASOV. I'm really loving not having to add water nightly. The salinity will be kept very consistent now, and the protein skimmer will not have to be adjusted ever, as the water level is kept laser accurate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, I'm also a bit of a baker when the mood hits. Here's a blueberry pie I made tonite. It's July and blueberries are in season. When else can you get 3 pints for $5?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You know, if you freeze that pie, you would be able to ship it overnight to me.....please? I like pie :)

6. ReefSparky

[​IMG]

Got two pieces on the way!! :cheesy:

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Awesome....I'll get the Cool Whip ready.....errrr, mayhaps I should rephrase that :lol:

That pie looks really really good. Mmmmmm pie.

8. Click Here!

9. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Wow, now that's maximizing existing under-tank space. I think you could fit one more timer under there. :)

How much flow (gph) do you estimate is going through the fuge section?

That pie is making my mouth water......

10. ReefSparky

I'm guessing between 50 and 75 GPH thru the 'fuge. The blueberry pie was pretty good. :)

11. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Hey ReefSparky, how loud is the pump in your sump?

1 person likes this.
  12. ReefSparky

Not too bad. It's a Pondmaster 700GPH unit. It's a quiet hum. My bedroom isn't too far away, and with the door open and the bottom of the stand bare (no walls), I hardly notice it.

1 person likes this.