90 gal drain and start over or what

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by dugas, Mar 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dugas

dugas Plankton

ok everyone here's the thing. i need help i started my tank two months ago. I cycled my tank with damsels and snails. well after testing the water my ph is still low and alk is though the roof. Tried everything to get it up but cant. so i brought a ro/di unit. Now i think i should drain the tank bout 50% or more. what yall think

Or anyone got any suggestions.

2. Click Here!

3. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Did you add more livestock? If not, I would completely drain the tank down to a couple of inchs and replace with mixed salt water from your ro/di. Test this water before adding to the tank. Give this a try and report back

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

what are these param's that are so low? How low? and whats your current livestock.

1 person likes this.
  5. dugas

dugas Plankton

snails hermid crabs and bout 150 dollors of live rock. took the fish back they were bout to die.

6. dugas

dugas Plankton

ph 7.4 alk to high to test.and green and red algea is bad and the deep red stuff is geting worse

7. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I wouldn't drain 90 g unless it was impossible not to.. Get some HIGH ph regulator (Seachem makes some good ones) and dose appropriately. After, dose the entire tank with Seachem prime because the regulator makes ammonia more toxic, and Prime will help lock the ammonia. Test the next day

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

what test kits are you using?

Also since ya just got a RODI, your waters prob the main prob. I would just start doing 25% water changes a week until ya get it under control, maybe even twice a week for a bit.

10. dugas

dugas Plankton

im not sure. They test it at the store. we tested everything but only the the ph and the alk is off. i used bakeing soda,8.4, balance nothing will get it up. so guys said get a ro. so i did and bout to do a 30 gal water change. hope this helps didnt know it was this hard to start a saltwater tank. But im in to deep now.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

IMO you should really buy yourself a decent set of test kits. Like red sea or salifert.

And is a RODI or RO unit? But that will def help a lot. Just do your water changes and maybe consider a doing 3-4 day lights out to help kill some algae and then syphon the dead stuff up.

12. dugas

dugas Plankton

Its at Maxpure MPDI RO/DI 90 GALS DAY. Iam just as soon as can. i done spent or 500 this month and 1000 last month hope it get better before it brakes me.