90 degrees

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by phoenix cat, Apr 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phoenix cat

phoenix cat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

its a 12g nanocube with 20 lbs lr and several corals including hammerheads and candycanes... the tank got to 90 degrees the other day and allot of the corals are mostly closed does anyone have any sugestions doesnt look like anyof them are dead yet....

2. Click Here!

3. phoenix cat

p.s. its not my tank it my sisters

4. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

Open the lid on the cover and direct a fan at the surface of the water as a start. This will increase the evaporation on an already small tank so she needs to keep a close eye on the water levels. You might need to raise the lights up as well. A small chiller would definitely do it but the cost can be high.

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

6. Colin

Colin Plankton

Bags of ice

I found that when you do a water change, take some of the old water and put in freezer bags and freeze it. When the temp of your water goes up, put a bag in the water. Hopefully this would bring the water temp down.

7. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

+1 on the fans, maybe even shorten the lighting cycle during the summer months if you have too. How long is the photoperiod?

8. Click Here!

9. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

I have had a few days during the summer that my temp. was getting pretty warm 83 deg.+ For a small 12g nano you maight be able to just keep a fan blowing on the glass exterior of the tank without lifting the hood and losing so much H20 due to evaporation. I kept a fan blowing on the glass all day and it kept my tank at 79-80 deg. Maybe something worth trying!

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

For my nano, I just toss in those reuseable cold packs you stick in the freezer. I double ziplock bag them just in case the pack leaks, but it drops the temperature easily. I also have a small fan running on the canopy to keep it cooler.

11. phoenix cat

thanks everyone, do you think the hammeread will open back up?

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It depends. They can be hardy, but temperature plays havoc with coral's metabolic reactions. The coral may eventually recover, or it could be dying. You will just have to wait.