85+ temp how bad?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by MoJoe, May 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

thats crazy all yalls tanks are that hot...my new 150 has a closed top canopy with 2 250 halides, my tank in the morning sits at 78 and my tanks raises to 79.8-9 after being on for 5+ hours.. and i live in hot a$$ Louisiana..no fans in my canopy or over my sump and no chiller...i keep my AC around 75 in the house all day...

im still thinknig about a couple fans in the canopy and a vent, and also thinking bout mounting one to blow over the sump.. it gets really hot here in another month or so..but its hot as balls here now..

2. Click Here!

3. lust1kiddo

lust1kiddo Astrea Snail

Make sure you have extra water around..the fan will evaporate mad water

4. silor

silor Sea Dragon

I kept my ac at 78 because if I kept it at 75 my power bill would be at least double :(
    Sucks getting penalized for over power consumption

5. silor

silor Sea Dragon

For sure I use at 8 gal tub drilled with air hose and a air valve for dripping into the sump...
    Works freaking great and super cheap ;)

6. Doctorgori

Doctorgori Flamingo Tongue

I've had a fish room several yrs running now and can endorse that suggestion, but not just for the cooling but for the electric bill that follows...what you might wanna do is call your local electric company and find out when "peak" hours are (or inversley what times are cheapest to run your appliances)

...also I was an avid reefer in the Southwest back in the day...I can tell you unequivecally that temps in the upper 80's will turn your tank into one stinky mess (we had the AC break in mid summer in Phx,AZ) ... I took pics of a 125 that ran for 5yrs st8 and it was damn near spectacular (the mess it created I mean) ...wish I still had those pictures

...Cheapo cooling: portable AC units ain't all that particularly cheap or efficient, but they are cheaper than bonafide "aquarium chillers" and absolutley cheaper to run than whole house units...if things get dicey, it ain't a bad idea to invest the $200 or so in one...I know I got one after that melt down (it hurt so bad its been 12-13yrs since I had to heart to fire up another reef tank) ;D