85+ temp how bad?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by MoJoe, May 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mails2thiagu

mails2thiagu Feather Duster

Here in Jacksonville, it's already reached 90+..I just checked my tank and temperature around 82. Mine is 4 PC 65watt so no wonder they generate lot of heat than light :lol

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

A fan should do it,you only need to drop your temp a couple of degrees.Just try to avoid large temp swings,maybe put the fan on the same timer schedule as your lights to help keep the temp from rising during your lighting period but not cool the tank too much when the lights are off.A fan will of course cause much more evaporation,that's what lowers the temp.

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

you know alot of times in the middle eatern seas such as the black and red sea the temp stays at about 84-85 naturally, also has a bit higher of a specific gravity.

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Maybe at the surface, but the deeper you go the colder the water. Most corals people own did not come from the very top of the reef. Also, a large number of corals are aquacultured which gets them used to lower temps. You really cannot compare a tank to the ocean.

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Most corals collected come from waters that average about 82-84 maybe a bit higher in the summer. We don't get many deep water specimens they are tough to collect. That said, 85 is pushing it for a tank as there is no leeway left for many corals.

While most corals can handle 85 if acclimated to that temp, if the coral isn't acclimated; say the tank has been at 78 and suddenly swings to 85, that is bad. However, if the tank has been hovering around 85 and the corals were slowly adjusted to that temp, then that is not bad in itself. It is still bad though for another reason, this is because corals have a finite range of temperatures they can acclimate to. Going even a little over this may be too much for some corals to acclimate too and can cause bleaching regardless of acclimation.

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

That is what I was trying to get at, but did a poor job doing so.

8. Click Here!

9. silor

silor Sea Dragon

85 for me =RTN on my sps :(
    I runs a 8" fan across the top of my sump and it cools me 3-4deg so I can run 77-80 all day and I am in las vegas faceing the afternoon sun..

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

can anyone recommend a good fan I can use on my sump with where to purchase?

Thanks!

11. silor

silor Sea Dragon

I got mine at walgreens 9$ with clip

12. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

wlamart clip on fan in the automotive section