85+ temp how bad?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by MoJoe, May 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Hey all,

As Summer begins to creep into my apt. I am having trouble keeping my temp below the 84-85 mark. I actually haven't noticed any ill effects on my corals or fish, but am wondering if they are slowly boiling alive??

My lighting is 1 250w MH pendant that I am currently suspending about 10" from the water surface. The tank is open top and I have good surface agitation. I put some fans on the tank that seem to help it, but may ultimately need a chiller. I had thought I'd be ok with just one MH bulb and get by without cooling but it's hotter than I thought on the 2nd floor. I'm not sure if I should put the $ into a chiller or go with LED's or T5's to help the problem

Any advice?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Mine is getting up to 82 during the day/evening, and I am running LEDs with 3 120mm fans. This summer is going to be brutal! 85 is high, and might be worth investing in a chiller. If you go LEDs, it is still going to be high, but could be considerably lower(no need for a chiller at 82* IMO). I dropped $150 today on an Eheim 1262 in hopes that replacing my Mag7 will get my heat down a bit. I have been running my house AC for like 3 days straight, and putting frozen bottles of water in my sump twice daily.

1 person likes this.
  4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That is right on the edge between OK and stressful. Fans over the tank or sump to help cool it would be a start. AC in the room that the tank is in also would be good.

1 person likes this.
  5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

When my tank hit 85 my chalices started melting. Everything else was fine. Aim a fan at the tank and that should be enough to cool it down.

1 person likes this.
  6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Appreciate the input everyone, thanks! I brought a few fans in before i left for work and will see how the temp is when I get home.

Is this temp on the border for the fish and corals, or just the corals?

I'm most likely going to put some ac units in tommorow so I know that will also help.

7. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

You could also run a reverse cycle. Instead of having the light on during theday, have the light on at night. It would help reduce the heat generate and run cooler.

My tank still running at 78 degree. I don't run my a/c in the morning.

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

actually never thought of that & in some ways it would benefit me since I work until the evenings. I may start having it go on say 10pm-6am or so.

Thanks for that input!

10. cybe

cybe Plankton

I freeze my food mix in a cube of tank water and feed that way, it's usually good for about a degree in my 28g. Bigger or more cubes should have a greater impact. Cheaper than a chiller ;)

11. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

That's how I used to run mine. Temp were never pass 81 degree on my 150 w 2 250 hallide.

12. antole

antole Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I had the same issue and went to walmart and purchased a $9 fan and aimed it at an angle to the water surface and it dropped it 3 deg in an emergency I have floated bags of ice in the sump.