85 Degrees!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Blade_Runner, May 30, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Oh Shoot,

I came back to the office after the long weekend to find that some Nimrod turned off the AC to save $. My 210 is at 84+ degrees. The corals are quite unhappy. The tank normally runs between 80 and 82.

Is it crazy to slowly add ice? I need to add a little fresh water anyway.

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I don't think you need to go slow. It's going to be a gradual decrease regardless of how fast you add the Ice. I've done it before but you need a lot of Ice to make a difference. Plus RO/DI ice is hard to find

J

4. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Wow, no kidding. I've emptied the icemaker and see almost no change.

I'll live without the RODI on this. There are just softies in there. I'm more concerned about the temp.

5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Wow, no kidding about needing a lot of ice. I went to the corner and grabbed 2 more bags of ice. The tank is finally showing under 84 which was the max of the stick on thermometer. I shudder to think of how hot it was in there. It looks like 1 bag reduces the temp a little over 1 degree. I think I lost a large Colt. Everyone else seems to be perking up.

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Yeah, Ice isn't that effective for decreasing the temp quickly. I really see no long term solution to your problem as this is a tank in your place of work, where I'm pretty sure someone would get pissed if you brought in a chiller.

You know, I've heard from a lot of people that frozen gatorades last longer than ice and seem to get colder than water. You might want to freeze a couple of bottles of gatorade and put them in the sump. Worth a shot.

7. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Yes, I had a similar problem with a stuck heater a couple of weeks ago. The mass of water is so great that you could dump in a lot of ice and it will still go very slowly down. :( I hope everything turns out alright.

Ricktzer: when you mix certain chemicals with water it lowers its freezing point, ie salt, glycol etc..

Jim

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Well, there you have it! Use Gatorade instead of ice water. ;D

10. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Normally everything is fine. I own/lease the place and we have our own A/C. Some one just killed the A/C Friday night and it was 80-90 out all weekend. Hopefully, this was a 1 time event.

11. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

ya sorry to hear that i use 4 1 liter bottles of soda filled with water and use plumbers tape so they don't leak when i just dump the water in the water changes and normally you want to go about .01 in salinity per day so that's not a great idea but with bottles of water frozen is the way to go if you don't have a chiller. PS why are you at that high of temp normally 78 is what is recommended? also i have used glass bottles and they work much better at chilling the water faster then plastic

12. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

powdertang05 wrote:
    " PS why are you at that high of temp normally 78 is what is recommended?"

I believe recommended temperature falls within a 'range' and not a specific number with caution being taken at the lower and higher parts of that 'range'.

Blade:
    If access to the A/C unit cannot be restricted can you maybe post a sign not to turn off the A/C? If this is not possible perhaps it's time to invest in a chiller.