80 or so TDS Tap Water

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Midnight_Madman, Jun 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I didnt see the one your referring to. Can you put on a link.

Btw, 3reef code didnt work on BRS. any other it could be?

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

4. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

If the dual TDS and the pressure gauge were removed how would the economy BRS compare to the spectraPure ?

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

It doesn't. 5 micron nominal prefilter and 5 micron 6,000 gallon carbon block versus 0.5 micron absolute prefilter and 0.5 micron 20,000 gallon carbon block. Off the shelf DI resin versus custom blended SilicaBuster DI resin. Dry off the shelf 75 GPD RO membrane in 96-98% cliamed rejection versus wet treated and batch tested 90 GPD RO membrane averaging better than 98% rejection rate. Fixed type flow restrictor versus a capillary tube flow restrictor you trim for your exact water conditions.

There is a big difference, add up the replacement cost of all the above plus factor in the rule of thumb which states "for every 2% you increase the RO membrane efficiency, you DOUBLE the life of your DI resin". Not only is the Spectrapure membrane more efficient, the DI resin is more efficient too so your DI will last much much longer meaning lower operating cost. Add to that the membarnewill last much longer since it it being protected better by the absolute prefilter and carbon block so again lower long term operating and replacement costs.

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The TDS lets you know when you need to change the RO membrane and the DI resin. That alone is worth the money. A dual TDS meter costs $30. For about $160 shipped I would take the Spectrapure one. Like AZ said, you get what you pay for. It is a 90 gallon a day unit.

here is what AZ said on your other thread.

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I own the SpectraPure 90gpd unit, one of the best things I've bought for my reef, no wondering what's in the water. It's a great unit for an affordable price.

8. Click Here!

9. Reefie

Reefie Plankton

I purchased this unit years ago and it is still running strong. I have been very happy with it. It doesn't come with the TDS and pressure guage like the one listed above. I didn't purchase the pressure guage, but I did get the TDS meter.

Aquarium Water Filtration Page

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Again not in the same league and very expensive for what you get. Note things like a 5 micron prefilter, cheap 300 gallon granular activated carbon filter, 1 micron carbob block which will get plugged with all the carbon fines and dust from the granular carbon, horizontal DI's, no name mentioned on the membrane and no TDS meter or pressure gauge on the more affordable version.
    Like most ebay vendors they are trying to WOW you with the number of stages unlike more reputabl vendors who use less stages but with much better filters installed.

1 person likes this.