80 Led Cree XR-E Led Fixture

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Dashing, May 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dashing

Dashing 3reef Sponsor

Hey guys,

To start with here is my original project list, I would have ordered from my self had I of known I was going to open a shop...

Project List

Next up are some of the build pics,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know why but this next pic is my favorite picture of the fixture,

[​IMG]

Here are some shots of the fixture on over the tank,

White and Blue,

[​IMG]

Blue

[​IMG]

White

[​IMG]

The importance of a redundant Thermal Cut off circuit hardwired on LED fixtures.

In the Cree Data Sheet it says you should keep the temp under 135 deg C at the thermal pad of the led, as well you should aim to keep your heatsink under 60 deg C at the most 37 deg C is better [​IMG]

With fans we can cool led Heat Sinks down to tempetures that are well within the LED's safe operating range. However especially if we build our heatsinks out of Sheet Aluminum or Aluminum Diamond Plate we need to be cautions of heat issues that could arise if our fans fail to function correctly.

The other morning I went down stairs to check on my aquarium like I normally do. However to my surprise my Blue LEDs were on. I went in to my fish room to check out the problem only to find that not only were my blue leds on, all fans were turned off. Apparently my Digital Timer had failed was stuck in the on position. Luckily my Blues only run at 700ma and my 1.2 by 3.2 sheet of Aluminum Diamond plate was enough to keep tempetures low enough to not cause any long term effect on led life.

With that being said all types of technology are subject to Murphys law, with that being said by wiring a 1-10 $ Thermal Circuit...Price depending on where you purchase you can have a fail safe hard wired into your system to shut it down if temp get to high be it from a dyeing fan, non-functioning fan or poor ventilation problem.

Also by having 2 fans set up with different power supplys you add an extra level of protection to your fixture as well more overall air flow.

Cheers,

Richard.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cdmorrison01

cdmorrison01 Astrea Snail

Cool build! I am planning on doing the same kind of thing in the future.

4. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

thanks for sharing!

this is an awesome build. LEDs are starting to look better and better

5. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

Nice project, any chance we can see the build without joining another forum?

6. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

yeah

7. Dashing

Dashing 3reef Sponsor

Are the pictures and pdf not showing up? I have them linked to where they are stored on another site but I can upload them to 3 reef.

Can you guys see the pictures?

Richard.

8. Click Here!

9. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I can see all but the first pic.

10. corey46

corey46 Astrea Snail

What did it cost to build this? I really want one for my 90 Gallon tank but I lack LED expertise. I know the long term this keeps the cost down.

11. Dashing

Dashing 3reef Sponsor

The Cost

Here is a supply list, I actually sell leds now that are much stronger then the older XR-E p 4's used in this project.

View attachment 90G_LED_PROJECT.pdf

Also it is very easy to solder leds here is a brief how to video,

Cheers,

Richard.

12. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

thanks for posting a link to the build list.