8 year old pepper sprayed?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by clarky2120, Apr 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

Fox News Endorses Pepper Spraying an 8 Year Old

I picked this article to link because it basically had both points of view while reading.

Don't get tied up in the Fox News vs MSNBC garbage, but apparently people are fairly split on this one. Just wanted to read some opinions.

2. Click Here!

3. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

I am 100% for it. However I do feel bad for the kid because I assume the parents are the real issue in this situation.

4. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

There's no good reason to pepper spray a kid. I find it hard to believe that the police couldn't restrain an 8 year old without the use of pepper spray.

5. Grog

Grog Astrea Snail

The kid has definite issues, the big question is why was he in public school if this wasn't his first outrage not that he was sprayed. The safety of the other students and teachers is a bigger deal since this kid obviously doesn't have any regard for others. One comment about the kid only having a stick, well let's see them in front of this kid with a splintered piece of molding. Using the spray was probably the easiest and safest way to diffuse the situation.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

6. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Although there has been times I would have liked to pepper spray my 11 yr old,I do have to agree,with all the tacticle take down methods used by police,I find it hard to believe that it was nessesary to use pepper spray on an 8 yr old.If he had a gun or a knife,I would be all for the harsh lesson,so I guess you could say i'm on the fence with this one.I also believe alot of this behavior stems from the parents.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

there is absolutely no way I could not outwit an 8 yr old to get past the stick and take it from him.

Yes, he's a brat; yes there are other problems.

It takes a real pansy to use weapons against an 8yr old that doesn't have a blade or firearm.

While at the same time...
    I've been sprayed with pepper and mace (intentionally to know what it's like). Pepper spray stings like crazy and makes you want to rip your eye balls out (reference Avatar) but it's quite survivable and temporary. I really don't see it as a big deal that anybody gets sprayed by it. I think the folks that are against it the most have never been sprayed themselves and think it is far worse than it is.

I have also been stung by a wasp in the face. As a kid. It's not that different. So, really, if you're against pepper spray for kids you are also against nature happening to kids... which nobody can do anything about.

8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I am behind the police here. Children today have no regard for anything. They have no respect for anything, and it stems from my generation. We have become so self-involved with our "things" and our jobs, that children have suffered because of it. Most parents I know speak of their child as a responsibility, a hassle, and will look for any excuse to dump them on someone for a spare minute of time. They view school as daycare. Most do not help with their children's education. My wife is a teacher, 4th grade, and 21 out of the 25 kids she has in her class cannot read above a first grade level (basically, they ALMOST know the alphabet by the time they get to 4th grade). My sister is also a teacher, in another part of the country, and has the same description of her students year in and year out. This lack of education stems from a national system that we have put in place that passes every child to the next grade, regardless of passing or failing...apparently it costs too much money to fail a child and have him/her repeat a grade, so it is just "better" to send them up. Furthermore, this only enforces the lesson to the children that "no matter how little you try, or know, everything will be okay...you can get by." I hope that this story is a wake-up call to parents with young children to pay attention to them, help teach them, and raise them as a functioning part of society. They are our future...and right now, I'm a little scared.

10. Ohsogrumpy

Ohsogrumpy Astrea Snail

I say pepper spray the parents. This was the 3rd time the police had to be called out for him. For an 8 year old, are you kidding me. That is crazy. WHat are his parents doing. If he has a mental or psychological disorder then get him some help. But do something parents.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

So what would law enforcement have done if no pepper spray was available?

The parents of the child should be billed for the cost and time that law enforcement spent dealing with a spoiled child. He should also be expelled from school and they can pay for child care as well. Unless the child has documented mental illness and a true danger to him self and others. The parents need to stop passing the buck.

1 person likes this.
  12. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Wow, Having the police called not one, two but three times...? Thats a bit much. ON the parents note, With her child being treated as a common criminal.

I would hope she would understand that her child was destroying public property... Threatening with violence? Honestly lady, your parenting is raising a criminal. Work on your parenting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.