76gal half circle reef

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by MattD, Jun 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MattD

MattD Plankton

Hello all. My 76 gallon tank is filled with 180 lbs of live rock. Currently I have one CF combo Coralife unit that doesn't do much for lighting the set up. I'd like to have a good variety of soft and hard corals in this reef and realize the importance of lighting. I am quite interested in using LED lights for both this tank and my 210 fish tank. Money aside, can anyone help with what the best lighting set up would be for my tank(s)? Thanks in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

For LEDs, the only way is AI, 2-3 modules for the 72 4-5 for the 210. If that is too much, T5 is probably the best option.

4. MattD

MattD Plankton

Is that recommendation for the 210 considering that it will be a fish tank?

5. MattD

MattD Plankton

I am specifically looking to buy lighting for my 76 gallon 1/2 circle and my 210 gallon reef ready tank. Hopefully the pictures come up on this post as this is my first time. Anyway. I am very interested in LED lighting for all of its heat and light consumption benefits. More specifically, I have pretty much decided on AI Sol set ups. The 1/2 circle will be a reef only tank and I'd like to have as much variety of coral as I can. The 210 will be a fish tank primarily. Any and all recommendations are welcome, but my questions specifically is about LED lighting for both. Which make do you recommend? How many modules/sets of them for each? Etc. Currently the 1/2 circle has a Coralife CF fixture that isn't cutting the cheese. Please help!

76 Gallon 1/2 circle with 150lb of live rock.
    [​IMG]

210 Gallon with a set up made of dry rock.
    [​IMG]

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

there are many more options for lED rather than just Aqua Illumination.... I think 3 of the Kessil A 150s would be great over the half round reef. they run about $260 a pop and should be released here very soon. If you really want AI Sol then 2 would be fine.

For the 210..there won't be any coral in it? The I would recommend just 2 or 4X T5HO. You only need light in the fish-only tank just so you can see the fish. With this yo could even do some softies if you wanted to though.

7. Seano Hermano

8. Click Here!

9. MattD

MattD Plankton

I'm sorry if my wording mislead you to believe I wouldn't have any coral in it. I meant it will be primarily fish, but I am planning on adding some softies in it.

10. Seano Hermano

Softies (soft coral) is also coral. :) They require light to grow. But a 4X T5HO would be plenty for softies. If you decide not to do soft coral either then I think you could probably get away with a 2 bulb T5HO fixture.

11. MattD

MattD Plankton

Anything specifically? Good quality?

12. Seano Hermano

If you don't care aboue the dawn/dusk features that some of the more expensive fixtures have then you could get a Wavepoint fixture pretty inexpensively.

You're going to pay a bit more to get one of those fancier fixtures. If that's what you want, ATI recently started selling the 'Sunpower'. It is a T5HO fixture with a dimmable ballast and controller settings built in.