75g sump build help

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by leigh, Oct 31, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

Picked up a 75 gallon tank that I want to use as sump fuge
    I can't seem to find any previous builds on one like this

I was planning in having 3 sections intake with protein skimmer then bubble trap leading to fuge then return

Should I have the baffles at 1" spacing

My tank has two overflows and I have a mag 18

2. Click Here!

3. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

Or should I put the return section in the middle
    And plum it to intake in both the fuge and protein skimmer? Does anyone have a link to someone doing DIY?

Thanks guys :)

Edit
    The lfs told me that using a 75 gallon tank is way to big but I want to maximize volume

4. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Here is pic of my sump I made.
    [​IMG]

And heres how I plumbed my sump with the 3 sections (skimmer/Fuge/Return)
    [​IMG]

I have all returns going into the skimmer section but have it T'ed off to the fuge for some raw Tank water for (Live Rock/Pods and other critters that will be in there.)

Hope this helps.

5. Ryan_310

Ryan_310 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What size tank is it for? It is best to do it Skimmer/Return/Fuge IMO. That way you can control the flow into the Fuge. 1" is good for the spacing.

6. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Mind you I'm going to be changing my baffles around a little to make my fuge bigger but your on the right track though.

7. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Skimmer/Fuge/Return is better IMO. :p

8. Click Here!

9. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

Most designs I've seen lately have the return section in the middle with the drain feeding the skimmer and fuge sections (gate valve on the fuge side to control flow). Baffles for bubble trap are generally separated by 1" or so (a section of 3/4" PVC pipe is a good spacer) both between baffles and for the middle one off the bottom panel.

I'd make the fuge section as big as possible, and I don't think there is such a thing as "too big" for a sump.

There are a bunch of threads on DIY sumps that I read while doing research a couple months ago. I'll look around and see if I can find 'em for ya.

Edit: Look at the Refugium forum. There's a ton of design threads with pics and diagrams in there...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  10. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

Thanks guys sounds awesome!! And thanks n00ze for the pics
    It's for my 200g build

Its So funny that the lfs was trying to tell me not to get a 75 lol that's probably the first time a lfs has tried to get me to spend less money :p

I was thinking exactly what you posted in those pics but I may try the return middle
    How big should the return be? It's a standard 75 48" long 18" wide should the fuge be biggest skimmer smallest and return middle?

Thanks again you guys are awesome lol

11. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

LOL – I would be the subject of scorn and ridicule if they saw the sumps that I have put together!

… and +1 on any design that allows you to control flow through your fuge and skimmer compartments separately.