75g or 90g tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Ducncover, Feb 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

Looking to get a bigger tank. Currently have an Oceanic Illuminata 57g tank and looking to go to either a 75g or 90g....I would love to go bigger but im on the 3rd floor of my condo and even a 90g is on the edge of my comfort level. I plan on building my own stand and plan to make it have a larger foot print then the tank to help spread the weight out..im looking at a predrilled aqueon tank and looking at the specs the difference between a 90 and 75 dimensionally is in the height,90 is about 4inches (or there about taller). both tanks are 48'' long and 18'' wide, which are both a foot longer then my current tank. I just dont know if a 57 to75 would be that much of a change to make it worth the hassle of swapping which is why Im leaning towards the 90g.Thoughts and oppinions appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Don't know about the building codes in WA, but here in MD, the 2nd and 3rd story floors are just as sturdy as the first (with a basement or crawl space). I've seen up to 300g tanks in apartments, and I've never heard of one crashing through a floor. In a condo, just place it near a wall; you'll be sure to have a load-bearing wall beneath.

That said, I agree- if your livestock has already outgrown the 57, then you should go for the 90. That will give you a little more time before the next upgrade. :D

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would think the 90 would give you more options for livestock as well. I can't speak to the weight though but I always trust Mr. Bill :)

5. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I'd go for the 90 I couldn't find one used but did find a 72 bow front for a good price plus I have a new 113, it's nearly the same footprint as a 120 (&40 breeder sump) in storage (it's a bit big for my space) so the 72 is fine for me.

BUt definitely go for the 90, bigger is better :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  6. DGegg

DGegg Astrea Snail

Go big or go home lol