75 gallon stocking ideas???

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Gexx, Nov 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

ok guys i found a 75 gallon in the lfs for 399.99 BUT it comes with tank, stand, hood, light (stock lighting), heater, thermometer, filter, net, and a gravel siphon! Now that sounded like a good idea to me but the only problem is that im broke! lol so christmas is coming up and thats on my christmas list! (prob not gonna happen! but a guy can dream cant he?)

so now for the main question. What do YOU all think i should do with it?? i have my 30 gallon reef so i dont want it to be a reef as the lights would be VERY expensive. i want it to be a fish only tank.
    Some fish i like are:

lionfish

puffer fish

triggers

and tangs.

Now i know not all of these will fit in the tank and the lionfish is a definate because for some reason they amaze me! so what of the ones that are left would you recommend?i want them to respond to me kinda when i enter the room. thanks guys and happy reefing! (remimber that i prob wont get this but i just wanted to see what you would think.)

2. Click Here!

3. coloradoReef

coloradoReef 3reef Sponsor

IMO Some of the best fish for personality are a porcupine puffers and a lunar wrasse

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

one thing with the type fish youre wanting , they are quite prolific in pooping. poop factories basically. lol. and can be messy eaters too . i didnt see any mention of a skimmer , which imo you will defintely need with these fish. but nice fish selection.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  5. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

everyone has tangs i would definatley go with triggers a lot more different colors shapes and sizes personally i love niger triggers

6. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

hhhmmm the whole popping thing hadnt hit me yet. youre very right i wil def need a skimmer. again this is something that might or might not happen. depends on what we find on craigslist and at the lfs.thanks to all so far and keep them coming!

7. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I think 75's are tricky for FO tanks because I don't feel 4' is long enough for the "medium sized" tangs and triggers in the 8-10" range, it's just not enough straight line swimming room IMO.

Putting a lion in there means no small fish which puts you at a species tank pretty much. Maybe the smaller end of ctenochaetus tangs would work but you'd have to make sure they are larger than the lion.

Maybe a dwarf lion (which still gets up to 7") and a small puffer, saddle or spotted maybe...and I don't know what else would go in there.

Maybe it would work if you don't mind cramming big fish in small tanks, not my thing though. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

hhhmmm excuse me. i didnt make myself clear. i want the lionfish and 1 maybe 2 others. i have never had very good luck with dwarf lionfish so im just gonna go with a volitan or a radiatta lionfish this time around.

10. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I see, I just don't know what fish you are going to be able to put with a lion that big that is still going to have enough room to swim in a 4' tank when both fish are full grown. The lion will be large enough to eat most fish that will live in a 75 when they're all full grown.
    I'm sure there are people who have kept lions with other fish smaller than the lion but it's always a risk that one day you'll start missing fish when the lion starts eating them.

JMO

11. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

ah ok. well then maybe ill just do a community fish tank. like B&W clowns, mandarin (after the tank has ample pods), goby/shrimp pair, and a flame angel. well as sadi above i have a lot of time to think about this.