75 gallon reef tank. Finally back!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by VeloceReef, Jan 20, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VeloceReef

VeloceReef Bristle Worm

Hey guys and gals I haven't been on here much since 2012. I had a 90 gallon reef a few years ago that I sold to pursue some racing that I was doing. At the time I didn't have the money to afford both and the tank was sold. Im fortunate enough now to be able to do both and my new build has just begun!

Went with a 75 gallon tank with built in over flow. I overpaid but supported a local store and got a brand new tank so it isn't all that bad. First shot of the tank up and running. I decided to go with live sand for the first time ever mainly because I liked the look of it and got a great deal on it.
    image.jpg
    Using some dry rock and seeded it with a few smaller peieces of live rock. Waiting to make it to my favorite reef store this weekend to get some more live rock at a reasonable price.

I decided to go with a 20L for the sump/refugium. I used to hate these tanks due to their small size but it worked out great actually. This is the same design I did on my 90gallon with a 30 gallon sump and it was very successful so decided to do the same.
    image.jpg
    You can't see the baffle separating the refugium but it's there! Went with a reef octopus 110 skimmer, and I'm using a Catalina 1800 return pump. Very happy with it.

At this time I was using my old 36" t5 light and it obviously won't cut it. After a few days of reading I decided to go with a pair of the new China LED pendants. I've always ran t5/halide set ups but after hundreds of great reviews and always wanting to try LEDs I figured I'd give them a go.
    image.jpg

This was yesterday after receiving them. Just a quick test. This is about 40% and I'm extremely happy with them so far. Still working on a way to hang them. Probably going with conduit.

Currently using a friends extra power head just for cycling and was planning on going with a couple hydors but was curious about vortech's. What's a good sized pump for a 75? I've been reading some people running 1 mp40 in a 75 gallon reef. Is this correct?

I'll keep it updated! Any input is always approximated!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    Corailline likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

For a cheaper alternative, look into Jabao controllable pumps.

I have 4,000 gph of flow in my 55, but it's mostly sps.

4. VeloceReef

VeloceReef Bristle Worm

Thank you I will look into them!

5. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Sicce makes good wavemaker now also. A lot of used mp40s on the market now as well. I just upgraded to them (2 weeks before they dropped the price) and really have great flow.

6. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

looking good nice clean setup. Also like all room you have in stand.

7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I have jabeo and ecotech an personally prefer the ecotech. Also you may consider a Gyre. Hearing good things about these but price is up there with the ecotech mp

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

tank is looking good! welcome back to the hobby! what are your plans for the tank?

10. VeloceReef

VeloceReef Bristle Worm

Thank you oldfishkeeer! The tank will be full reef. Unfortunately the lack of quality fish stores around here make it difficult to get live stock but this weekend I'll be picking up the rest of the rock, and the fist batch of live stock!!

11. VeloceReef

VeloceReef Bristle Worm

Chris, thank you. I will look into gyre pumps!

12. VeloceReef

VeloceReef Bristle Worm

Got the rest of my live rock today! Pretty excited!! Not sure how I feel about the scape but everything fits very well and I'm not worried about anything moving. Got some live stock in there too! Will upload pictures tomorrow of them! Until then enjoy an fts!
    image.jpg