75 Gallon Project (Transfer Complete)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Droopster, Jun 18, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

And so it begins....

This project started out with me trying to configure storage for a 75 gallon and 40 gallon that have been sitting in the storage shed. So I decided to build a stand that would accommodate the 75 as a DT and the 40 as a sump/fuge.

Stand is made from 2x4's, and a sheet of birch veneered plywood. NOTE: If you get a sheet ripped down at Lowes, which I needed so i could haul it, measure it before you leave the store. you can see where mine came up a little short.

the dimensions are 50" x 20" x 36" tall (plus the plywood thickness)
    unnamed-1.jpg unnamed.jpg

I then stained several surfaces in a deep blue, and I am doing doing an experiment with painting the inside/sump portion with Drylok concrete sealer. (I will probably do more once i decide on a skin/doors)

unnamed-2.jpg

Im not sure exactly what the finished weight is but Id say 80-100lbs although...
    maybe closer to a metric $#@% Ton!

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Looks good. Just built a metric myself. Felt like it going down stairs anyways.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Very nice stand. Looking forward to the build.

5. SeaMonster

SeaMonster Astrea Snail

Looking great so far

6. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Thanks everyone. Next step is drilling the tank, once an over flow method has been determined for sure. I forgot to mention that I intend for this to be a peninsula tank. im sure napkin sketches will show up soon

7. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Ok so I'm thinking I'd like a dual overflow or at least a split over flow to go into the sump and fuge. (I'm trying to find the thread where Todd lists his how to on the Todd mod). Compartment placement is negotiable but size for skimmer section will be determined by largest footprint of upgrade I may be willing to do in the future, currently have a CPR 150?...ish. It's a little older model. The fuge will probably take up most space. The return flow placement still needs to be determined as well but it may go back to wall housing the overflow. For all intensive purposes I was looking at the glass holes 1500gph kit. Either as the solution or inspiration. I'm thinking a mag 12 would be appropriate. I've used those pumps in the past and was never disappointed. I also think I would prefer not to drill more for the return lines, and just have them come over the rim. Open to opinions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  8. Click Here!

9. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Some decisions have been made. Im going to try my luck at the Bean Animal overflow with 1.5" bulkheads and plumbing. Still seems a little large but, honestly its easier to choke down the flow, than it will be to increase it.
    Id like to get as much flow for my money as I can from my plumbing. less $ I have to drop up front on Powerheads, the better. (not saying I intend all my flow to come from my return)

Still trying to decide whether to do a C2C and have my returns on the opposing wall to overflow, or...
    stop short of a C2C and have the returns coming over the edge of the tank in the corners of the same wall.
    ......Best circulation with least dead spots...?

In any case. the 1.5" hole saw and Bulk Heads have been ordered, and in other news, last night I picked up a light I found on craigslist. should get me started. 6 bulb 48" Current Nova T5 fixture with 2 functioning fans, and in good condition still with essentially no rust. and the price was right. unnamed.jpg unnamed-1.jpg

Corailline likes this.
  10. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

These Tanks are gonna need a good scrubbing o_O
    unnamed-2.jpg

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

With the peninsula, how are you going to run the C2C without obstructing view? I would put the over flow on the end.

12. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Exactly, I drew a little quick sketch (posted a couple comments ago, the question then became.... With the overflow at one end and the return at the other in the sump. would it be best to just run it up the side (opposing the over flow) to reduce head space, or does having the return pointed toward the over flow some how work in a negative manner.

I would imagine the return pushing all that water across 48" of tank would actually help circulate more. Thoughts?