75 Gallon or 110 Gallon?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Mad Dog, Dec 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Need a skimmer, Would recommend a drilled tank at that size.

Bioballs aren't needed. Fuge is a good choice.

powerheads and filtration is basically useless.

Lighting may be ok if its a quality fixture..

Also recommend RO/DI

2. Click Here!

3. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Astrea Snail

It's not the money or space I really had questions about. Yes, most were saltwater. Just looking for opinions on what has or hasn't worked in the past on the 110 gallon specifically I guess.

The height of the 110 tank is what I'd really like some opinions on. The 150 gallon setup I had wasn't a reef, but for aggressive/predator type fish.

Looking for thoughts on lighting this tank, as the reef tanks I've had in the past, were shallower. Experiences specifically with the 6x54 watt T5 HO setup, and how it fares with a tank this deep, with regards to corals, how high they would need to be placed, etc.

Again, any and all thoughts, criticisms, etc. are welcome.;D

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  4. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Astrea Snail

See above.^^^^^

5. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Astrea Snail

No doubt, and that's what I'm afraid of. Just getting back into this, after a bunch of years away from the hobby. I can see the sickness is taking hold once again, and by next year, I'll have a 265 in the basement.;D

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

My vote is for the 75 gal, especially if it drilled. If you are going for reef and do not intend to keep tangs, larger angels........ then I think the 75 gal is a better tank.

Once upon a time I had a great reef in a 75 gal, it was a great tank size wise.

7. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Astrea Snail

Thanks for your thoughts. The 75 seems to be setup to go almost, but I don't think the lighting will be adequate. The 110 needs some work, but I'm not averse to drilling the tank and doing the plumbing/fuge work to set it up. Hopefully someone chimes in on their experiences with the 6x54 watt T5 HO setup.

That's a big deal at this point, because if I go with the 75, most likely I'll need to purchase a lighting setup. Whereas with the 110 I'm good to go, and most of the work involved is sweat equity, not $$$. I've already got a spare skimmer I can use on that, that has been in storage.

Say both are the same price, at $500 for the setups. Which would you choose and why?

8. Click Here!

9. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I would get the 75. Its drilled and it sounds like a nice tank. I think you will have great sucess with it. Also with a 75 its easier to light. You could get a nice 4 bulb t5ho and you could keep almost anything you wanted to.

10. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

I would go with the 75g but maybe the guy with 110g will part out and sell his light fixture separate so you could use it for the 75g.

11. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I'd keep looking for a 200+....you can never have too big...lol jk.....but from the sounds of things I would go 75....im gonna be breaking my 125 down soon...it has 2 36" 4Xt5 fixtures, 30Gal sump (with baffled fuge), external overflow, and a AquaC Remora Skimmer 2 bigger powerheads, pumps and the sand is going with it..and I'm only gonna ask like $550...so the 110 sounds a little pricey without a skimmer and stuff..

12. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Astrea Snail

Thanks for the response. The only thing you're forgetting is this is Alaska, so the pricing is actually pretty good.;D Shipping is a killer up here, so the stores factor it in.