75 gal Build Take 3

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by ndtechie05, May 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Spaghetti Worm

Third time setting up this tank and hopefully it'll be the last time I set it up until I move. Last 2 times it crashed due to power outages and overflowing to the sump via the overflow. I'm going to try and fix that this time around. I'm taking it slowly this time also as I am busier now than I was before plus I'm married now :p

I have the old LR curing and seeding in a tub in the basement for the last 3 weeks. Looks to have cycled by now as nitrite and ammonia are 0. I purchased 2 55x3watt full spectrum LED fixtures. I will be purchasing 50 lbs of sand from Reef Rocks. I will be re using the 20 gal sump w/fuge and skimmer. Going out this evening to get the wood to build the stand. My goal is to have this thing holding water and functioning within the next 2 weeks. I will then let it go through another cycle in the tank if need be. I'll be updating this thread as I go along.

2. Click Here!

3. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Good luck!
    How did it overflow? That's my biggest nightmare! My reef ready tank has a hole to break the cypon so that's good

4. ndtechie05

I think what happened was I didn't have a hole drilled to break the siphon. Do you have a photo of that? I also think it was set to low in the tank so the water kept going in. I am thinking of trying to go to a larger sump but if I can get that hole to break it that would be great too.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Do not rely on the hole in your return for a siphon break as these can and will get plugged up over time.There is one sure fire way to prevent a flood on most systems.The return should be positioned high enough in the tank so that when the power fails it will become exposed to the air BEFORE your sump overflows.;)

6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

+1 make sure your overflow and sump are properly sized and don't rely on a fail safe. My water level runs at about 1/2inch higher than the edge of the overflow so that when power is cut, only about 1 extra gallon can empty into the sump and I have at least 5 gallons head space in the sump to allow for it. This way it physically can't overflow.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome back to the hobby! congratulations on getting married!

8. Click Here!

9. ndtechie05

Got douglas fir 4x4 for the uprights and 2x4 top choice whitewood from Lowes for everything else. Will be securing the 4x4 with the 2x4 with 6" lag bolts with locking washers and regular nuts. Stand will be 3ft tall with 28" of clearance underneath to add a larger sump later down the road. Most likely going to stick with the 20 gallon long. I am thinking I will just use a spray poly on the inside wood as I will be closing it in with a nicer wood.

10. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

I will be following along on this journey. Let the third time be the charm ;)

11. ndtechie05

Lights arrived!

New LED lights arrived. 2x Aquamana 55x3 watt Full Spectrum.

Specs:
    Dimmer One (28 LEDs): 8x Cool White (12,000k), 6x Neutral White (7500k), 6x Warm White (3500k), 2x Red (660nm), 2x Green (520nm), 4x Violet (420nm)
    - Dimmer Two (27 LEDs): 7x Royal Blue (450nm), 20x Blue (460nm)
    - Plugs: 2 Separate Plugs to Control Dimmer One & Dimmer Two
    - Power: 55 x 3W Epistar LED
    - Dimensions: 15.75" x 8.4" x 2.4" / 400 mm x 212 mm x 60 mm
    - Input Voltage: 85V to 265V AC
    - Lifespan: 50,000+ hours
    - Warranty: Limited 2 Year Warranty

Attached Files:

12. ndtechie05

Here is the stand. This picture was taken before I mimicked the braces on the top to make them the same on the bottom. This is not going anywhere! 4x4 douglas fir verticals with premium Lowe's 2x4 whitewood for the rest. 3/8" by 6" bolts hold the 4x4 to the 2x4s. Countersunk the holes and filled with wood filler. Going to be staining in the next few days. I will be installing work lights underneath as well as putting a plywood floor in. I will box in later as I want to get the tank on it and running and figure out how I am going to box it in.

Attached Files: