75 fowlr problem with ICH

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by DaDaAtlanta, May 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

I have had ICH in my tank for nearly three weeks now, my yellow tang has had it all along but is still fat but hasnt eaten for three days. I lost 3 small dispar anthias and my royal gramma was being eaten by hermit crabs when I woke up this morning. Out of my pair of clownfish one of them was pretty bad but eating while the other one hardly had a spot on him. This morning I did a short less than a minute freshwater dip and the clown hasnt eaten all day and looks like it may be next to go and has been in a upper corner all day. I have been feeding rods soaked in selcon, garlic and metronidazole, running a uv since yesterday and have been using ich attack for 3 days as of today 3 times per day without carbon and skimmer off. I don't want to lose any more fish. I have a koran angel that is just starting to morph in there ( i know the tank isnt big enough, but I will upgrade soon enough or sell/trade) and it doesnt show any signs, eats like a pig and is nice fat and healthy. I'm afraid of doing a freshwater dip for the yellow tang as its been fine like the clown was until I did the dip. I'm hoping the ich will soon go into a stage where it comes off of the fish considering all the things im using to combat it and get killed by the uv and ich attack. Any other advice? ich really sucks:(

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Ich attack is not going to do much if anything.

The FW dips or baths only relieve some of the symptoms, as soon as you put the fish back in the display, it's already so stressed that it will succumb to quickly.

Sounds like you boosted the diet, so that works in your favor. The UV is only going to kill those in within the water column, but the rest will go on to complete their life cycle.

Something must have triggered the out break, like a new addition or some type of stress. Any correction of that stress will assist you.

Unless you are going to set up a larger quarantine tank, I would proceed with the diet you are providing, the UV and correction of any stress like water parameters or bullying and overcrowding.

Good luck.

4. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

im hopin the tang makes it, its been hanging in there for weeks and just hasnt eaten in a few days but I do see him nipping at rock occasionally and did respond to algae sheet few days ago but not yesterday so ill try again tommorow with algae sheet. I wish I hadnt done the freshwater bath for the clown out of desperation and am thinking Im gonna lose it. I hope the tang makes it and I hope it doesnt affect my koran and he keeps eating well. Has anyone ever fed fresh cut garlic straight as a booster?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Just in case I wanted to add that Angels are more sensitive (sometimes fatally) to medications, like copper and formalin, if you were thinking of going the QT route. Hopefully this will pass soon and you will not loose anymore fish.

1 person likes this.
  6. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

Clown didn't make it, about 10 minutes after I turned the lights out I found sitting in the bottom corner of the tank on its side looking at it had been picked on so I just took it out and put it in a seperate container :(, I have lost 4 fish in a week. I should of acted sooner with the uv and ich attack maybe. I thought maybe the selcon and garlic would be enough. I hope that was the last of my losses.

7. MarineHobbyist

MarineHobbyist Flamingo Tongue

I had the same problem a few months back. I added UV, no help at all. I tried separating the sickest fish, the ich just attacked all the other fish. I had a lot of casualties, and was a really sad time for my tank.

I finally decided to do something about it, and setup a 50 gallon hospital tank. I put all the fish in hyposalinity for 6 weeks and left the display tank fishless the whole time. Now they're back in my display tank and they don't have ich anymore. For the time being at least. Still need to observe some more. But for now they look okay to me.

You can read more about my ich hospital tank in my blog. Hope that helps.

8. Click Here!

9. mkcat

mkcat Astrea Snail

Do you have any cleaner shrimp? My hippo tang when introduced to the tank looked great, then developed ich, which they are prone to. My 2 cleaner shrimp took care of the problem with no chemicals, gotta love that. 2 months ich free and none of my other 11 fish developed it. Just a thought.

10. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

Got the cleaner shrimp as well, may have to throw in a cleaner wrasse on top of it all. This morning the other clownfish is looking worse than before but will update when I get home from work this evening. The yellow tang is actually looking a bit better, not good, but a bit better, so hopeful it will pull through, ive been trying every reef safe angle it seems.

11. MarineHobbyist

MarineHobbyist Flamingo Tongue

I tried the cleaner shrimp before, all my fish with ich would go to them to have themselves cleaned in the "hospital cave" all the time. Didn't work for me. They only eat the dead skin of the fish, but will not kill the disease.

Ich needs to be treated to remove the tank of it completely. You may see it go away for a few weeks once the fish aren't so stressed anymore, but they will come back.

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Very solid advice from everyone!

I'd like to add that when I had ich I decided to try the chemical way and dozed the tank with kick ich, but had no good results out of it, even sticking to the instructions on the label.

Good feeding and stable water parameters (after many big water changes to get rid of the kick ich), are the things I considered to help me the most at that time.

It sounds to me as if you're trying your best, and I wish you the best of lucks. That cleaner wrasse may be able to make a difference

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk