72watt Cree fixtures and low light corals?!?!?!??!?

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by Mpfaff77, Jan 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mpfaff77

Mpfaff77 Plankton

I have had 2 fixtures Overview My 90 gallon mixed Reef Tank since September 2012. So 4 months or so and I am happy with them although I have had issues with some corals. I started at 20% and raised percentage weekly 5% over course off first few months got upto 80% and had some bleaching in few SPS that I have. So I turned lights down to 50%. All the while my acan and meteor shower have not opened at all. I also just got a trumpet coral few weeks ago that is not opening and I am starting to see skeleton. I have acan and trumpet on sandbed and lights are now back down to 20%. I also have that side light raised above tank about 18". So it has to be low PAR on the sand. Don't understand why these corals are suffering. I can put acan in refugium under a small power compact and opens up in few days. Trumpet has not seen refugium yet. My meteor shower was all browning out and has never opened since I bought from store it is currently in refugium. Driving me crazy and I have gone up and down n lights so much I am not sure what is good or bad anymore. My SPS have since started to recover and polyps are coming out again. Oh yeah almost forgot I have a orange digitata that doesn't open either. Right now is mid way on side of tank that light is 18" above tank. Other side light is about 8" off water. The weird thing is all these frags came from tanks with LEDs on them. I feel that these corals are getting too much light but then again not sure because I am only at 20% on both channels. I have just confused myself beyond repair at this point. Any input is appreciated. Easily 80% of all my corals are doing great. Xenia. Frogspawn. Bubble. Toadstool leather zoos. Mushrooms. Duncan. Brain. One more thing. My gorgonian doesn't open either. I was told it is photosynthetic gorgonian and it does open in refugium as well.

Sorry for being all very the place just so confused and hope to have input from other reefers that have transitioned to LEDS.

2. Click Here!

3. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

probably not enough light. 20% at 18" above the water is going to be very low par.

4. Mpfaff77

Mpfaff77 Plankton

Ok ill start ramping back up and lower gradually. I am dealing with an acan tho. Very low light coral. I'll try to go the other way tho. Actually went upto 25% this morning

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

FYI Meteor Shower (Cyphastrea) are actually lower light corals as well. Place it so it does not get direct lighting and see how it does. Mine is growing great behind a rock (I have PC lighting currently).

6. saltyg

saltyg Flamingo Tongue

Have same 2 fixtures on my 75. Keep blues on 60-65% and whites like 10-20%. Acans and rics on bottom, sps, lps mid in tank. They hang about 6 inches above my tank. I kept white on lowest setting and ramped blues up first. Atm I am actually happy with blues at 60-65 and whites on like the 3rd dot on dimmer. Everything is happy and growing. Also have 90 optics on them. Hope that helps you a little. I did start to loose color on my rics and acans with whites on 50% btw, thats why I just leave them low.