72 Gallon Lighting VHO???

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by bigbair45, Sep 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Oh, I forgot to mention, NEP even with their contoured reflectors are still a good entry level fixture... Thats what I keep telling the guys at Coralife... Well first I told them to make a T5 fixture, then when they said they were going to, but it was going to have a single parabolic I told them to get SLRs or otherwise Current will spank them all day long... They didn't listen, so the King of PC and other entry level light has lost the T5 race and most importantly lost the entry level throne...

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

To me, and most people these are not SLRs, look at a NEP and look at a Tek fixture, you will most certianly be able to see the difference between a SLR and not

4. oceanparadise1

TMZ post in URS on Rc and has over 10k post, he knows his stuff

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Never seen him but I am not on RC much... oh and post count isn't all that matters! ;) We have had people on our reef clubs board with 5x the post of other people but it didn't mean they knew what they were doing...

6. oceanparadise1

True i TOTALLY agree with that BUT he knows more then most people in this hobby, Every post he has is a book lol

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Wouldn't doubt it... Just said I never heard of him...

8. Click Here!

9. UltimateWarrior

UltimateWarrior Spaghetti Worm

We've run VHOs on our 60 gallon tank for 7 years now. We run four 36" bulbs. I think they are 95w a piece; replace them once a year. They work great! Might not generate the same "explosive" growth that MH does, but all of our corals look happy as can be.

Incidentally, we have a fully enclosed hood, and no reflectors, so we probably suffer from a fair amount of light loss.

10. oceanparadise1

Thanks for the message today! Glad i could be of help, and keep us up todate on the project :)

11. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I have one 2. works great so far, gets a little hot but no to bad. I am happy with it.

12. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

Wow big light discussion here... I personaly have a few friends with odyssea. I also have an odyssea fixture and love mine. They have a bad rep because of their old ballasts which since have been resolved. Our club will soon have a par meter and then we will talk numbers but for what I have in mine, i would compare it to many other fixtures at a fraction of the price. I also setup my friends 55 gallon as a coral tank. We went with two of the $99 150w MH buckets with t5's from odyssea. Can't beat it for the price. They also have a 2 250w but has no actinics (has moonlights) for the same price. All with free shipping. Also need to mention, since everyone's complaint is the ballasts, that ice cap ballasts are plug and play with these fixtures :) So if something did happen. Could buy icecap ballasts and still save a couple hundred compared to buying a "name brand" fixture.

Look at pics of mine in my build thread below.. will try to post some new today. Keep in mind, itis a 6 foot tank with only 2 250w halides. Is actually a 48" fixture hanging about 10" over the tank and I still get that much light with OLD bulbs :) Probably a year old ran 8 hours a day. Would love to have the 72" model with 3 halides, I cant complain though, i pretty much got this fixture free in a big deal on someone breaking down their setup.