72 Gallon Lighting VHO???

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by bigbair45, Sep 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

At this point the VHOs would be a fine option, albeit a little more costly long term to run them over T5s, electricity and lamp replacement wise...

Remember what you want now is not what you want later.... I myself was always a LPS guy and thought SPS were redundant and overrated... My tank is now a full blown SPS tank... I also had a custy who is also a friend that told me softies is what he likes and that LPS were cool but had no intention of ever owning any SPS, he now also is phasing all of his softies into his BioCube to make room for SPS....

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

I have seen the old models used with succes from locals

I have seen both odyessas and fishneedit, odyessa have ballast problems the FNI havent that i know of, A couple buddies have used btoh and havent had any problems with the FNI, and about the NEP LOOK at the SLRS they are just one big piece its not actually SLRS!!!!

4. oceanparadise1

Come on man.....LOOK at that picture lol those are NOT SLRS that is a Big piece of metal that is BENT to be like SLRS!!! And i would GLADLY pay the 15 extra dollars for a unit that the ballast wont fail or underpower on you!

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Ocean you keep referring to underpowering, how did YOU test this?

6. oceanparadise1

I personally didnt, this is from other hobbist who have been in this for a while and know there stuff, this is all from TMZ on reef central one of the SMARTEST reefers ik hes a book rat and knows more then almost any one i know

7. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

What are you talking about ocean? the Nova extreme has SLRs! They are called Nova Extreme SLR fixtures, regardless, they are single light reflectors and they work. I have that fixture as well...

What ballast is used on the fishneedit lights? What ballast is used on the Odyssea light? They could be the exact same ballast for all you know. The new odyssea fixtures have new ballasts as well, so unless your "friend" has the Pro edition with the digital timers, then we are talking about 2 separate ballasts.

Rumors, word of mouth, blah blah blickity. My odyssea fixture's ballast has not failed in 8 months and I don't forsee it failing. My nova extreme ballast has not failed either and I would take their SLRs over and big flat reflector anyday.

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Matteuw the NEP's SLRs aren't just that, they ARE one large reflector that is molded to look like SLRs.. Does it make a difference? Only because they do not completely cover the lamps.

As far as TMZ... I have posted a fair amount on RC, not nearly as much as here, but go on to talk with a few folks on there and give certain manufactors grief... I haven't seen many posts by this TMZ... As far as T5 knowledge is concerned I would ask Steve aka Grim Reefer before anyone else.

10. mattheuw1

Thats why your the doctor!

11. mattheuw1

I still think they work better than a solid reflector. They are still considered SLRs even though they arent nice ones.

12. Dr.Fragenstein

Correct... I would take the contoured NEP SLRs over a parabolic reflector anyday.

With the Odysea or FNI fixtures, you don't even know what you are getting.
    Yes I fully agree you can save money on things, but quality things also cost more money. Higher purity aluminum costs more. VHO ballasts or better quality ballasts cost more than some cheap one that isn't even going to hold up like many people say their Triads don't.

Are IC ballasts cheap? No, are Coralvue's VHO ballasts cheap? No, thats why a fixture that would use them is going to be more costly.. Case in point TX5 vs Solar Flare... Both are made by Aquactinics, the Solar Flare is WAY more, why IC ballasts and variable speed fans...

Most of the time, unless its German ;) you get what you pay for!

And Matt, I only play one on the Net! ;)