72 Gallon Lighting VHO???

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by bigbair45, Sep 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Yea and thats cool to each his own, nova are as well cheap, so are odyessa, IMHO(ive used so many different types of lights) this is the best"cheap" one out there. Id be willing to be i could get the same if not better results fromt his unit as a NOVA or odyessa. :) just saying

2. Click Here!

3. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

8)its all good im just trying to help out a fellow reefer...8)

1 person likes this.
  4. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

haha def i hear that!!! K+

1 person likes this.
  5. bigbair45

bigbair45 Plankton

I really like the discussion on the lights guys.....like i read before about skimmer brands...just like cars. All depends on what you like for the money i guess.

6. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

If your going to go cheap, you might as well get your moneys worth with the odyssea fixture. Its cheaper than the fishneedit and it has individual reflectors, only one power cord vs 3 and a built in digital timer. The fishneedit only has one reflector. The single bulb reflectors increase output up to 300% then without a reflector and over 20% more than one solid reflector. Without them, your wasting light. They are the main thing that makes T5s the best option for most setups. Even the older odyssea fixtures had a reflector for every 2 bulbs which is way better than one huge reflector.

EDIT: add additional info below.
    And YES the Nova Extremes DO have single light reflectors! $200
    Aquarium Lighting for Freshwater and Reef Systems: Nova Extreme Compact SLR T-5 Fixtures
    Odyssea 216W Quad T5 HO Pro Series SLR w/ built-in TIMER $125
    Fishneedit 216w T5s, no SLR/individual reflector, and doesn't even have a builtin fan $140
    4Ft/4Bulbs with LED

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Ocean have you personally used an Odysea? Same with the fishneed it?
    T5-ho 4ft / 2LAMP Aquarium lighting
    Everytime I have looked into fish need it fixtures when someone asks I have never been impressed... This says nothing about its SLRs if it has them, it doesn't mention aluminum used on reflectors, heck it could be Reynolds wrap in there..... I just am curious if you've actually used it and can compare....

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Again, with something as important as lighting and in a hobby that can essentially follow you your life, why buy something that is barely making it??? I learned this lesson the hard way when I had 3 tanks all running PC.. At one point I had 5 PC fixtures from 30"-72" in my closet....

When you go out and buy and Odysea or Fishneed it or what have you, are buying questionable ballasts(which RUN your LAMPS!) questionable reflectors(which will maximizes light output) which like Matteuw stated and increase the amount of light entering the tank, BUT that 300% isn't 300% when using awful reflectors... YES folks there IS a difference in aluminum... otherwise top notch manufactors wouldn't opt with the more expensive Miro IV aluminum thats 98% reflective... they would get Coke can aluminum from China and call it a day. Also you are getting questionable workmanship.... how is the light put together? how is the wiring? will it jostle loose over time, will it short?
    Why risk all this to save $100? Ok its a hundred bucks, but if you plan on staying in the hobby that $100 will be nothing compared to the new light you will buy and on top of that you save the $100 on the Odysea or what have you only to spend $80 on NEW BETTER lamps? Doesn't make sense to me....

If you want to save money build a retro, or save up.... It is pointless IME to get an inferior product...

Good luck

10. bigbair45

bigbair45 Plankton

I agree with the Dr.. The fishneedit doesn't even have a pic or any good relative information on their product. I'm surely going to wait until their new model comes out before I purchase. Wait I have another idea.....I think i'll either call them or email them and put the discussion on the reflectors to rest......just as soon as the west coast wakes up.

11. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

Before switching to halides i started with 4x 110W VHO's and they served my tank GREAT. At that time however all I housed was fish rock and soft coral. So there was no need for stronger lighting.

When i decided that i wanted to move into some hard coral I then went to halides.

The point of what I am saying is depending on what he wishes to house VHO's are not a bad option and could very well serve him great.

We (hobbiest) sometimes seem to push what we feel is the best and dont always look at what is best for the person in question.

That said .... what is it you plan to house in the tank? If we have that starting knowledge we can answer this better.

Also remember cheaper isnt better in this hobby for most things.

12. bigbair45

bigbair45 Plankton

I'm just for now going to start with some anemones, mushrooms, and a brain. As far as livestock goes. I'm sorry to all that I have to say it but....the tank "FOR NOW" is for my two year old son, so there will be all the fish from that god awful movie Nemo. Minus Mr. Puffer.