72 Gallon Lighting VHO???

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by bigbair45, Sep 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bigbair45

bigbair45 Plankton

Was wondering if two 48" (110w) VHO lamps would be enough lighting to support a decent reef? I would have to upgrade my ballasts. Also where could i get the best deal on the ballasts?

2. Click Here!

3. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

I would suggest at least 3 110w. I would also suggest you consider other options. Sell the VHOs and get some t5s.

4. bigbair45

bigbair45 Plankton

While I was waiting for a reply to this thread I did some reading and I'm going to have a tough time deciding on Odyssea or the higher priced Nova Extreme. I know now that everyone would suggest MH but don't have 800.00 to drop. I did see a MH and CF Combo on CL for 275.00. Would that be better than the T5's?

5. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

I think VHOs are underrate, i love the vho for atinic supplement on my 180, dont know how good they would be for regualr lighting but i over all VHOs are a very good light source! That being said, yes two would work, but three would be better in the long run.

6. oceanparadise1

Odyessa's are junk, the ballast under power and often fail. If looking for a cheaper but still decent quailty fixture check out fishneedit.com

7. bigbair45

bigbair45 Plankton

Phil I've read a bunch of your threads today......seems like you know your stuff!!! I'm building this tank for my 2 y/o son and want to do it on the tightest budget as possible so the Odyssea's are definetly out....Looks like i'll go with the Nova's

8. Click Here!

9. bigbair45

bigbair45 Plankton

How about a skimmer i've read you really like your Octo......how much are those?

10. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

the odyssea light fixtures are slowly getting better. They have a horrible reputation and have seriously messed up in the past. but they seem to be catching onto the industry. The new odyssea t5 pro fixtures have independent reflectors, only one cord, 3 switches for daylights, actinics, and moonlights, and builtin digital timers for all 3 lights. The ballasts are supposed to be better in the Pro editions too. I got mine for $98 and swapped out the bulbs. I like it and it works great. Been running for 8 months without an issue. Mine barely gets hot to the touch. I definitely got my moneys worth, and am happy so far.

11. oceanparadise1

Thank you!!!

But check out this site....fishneedit.com

They are cheaper then the novas and just as good IMO

For skimmer id go with an aqua c remora with a mj1200 or aqua c remora pro, i had the HoB aqua c with mj1200 on my 55 and it was great

12. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

What size tank are we talking about here you never mentioned tank size.