7 Days in and something is growing

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by LukeSchnabel, Apr 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

2. Click Here!

3. VooDoo

VooDoo Fire Shrimp

Where do you have the bio balls? you dont have a canister filter so are they sitting in your sump? If so I would recommend pulling those as they can be a nitrate factory and replacing it with LR rubble

4. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

You'll need a refractometer to gauge your salinity. A 200w heater and thermometer. At least 2 powerheads for DT water movement recomend Koralia Evo 750's. Float magnet for cleaning glass and scraper. A ground probe. These are the basics that I didn't see in your list. HTH ;)

5. VooDoo

VooDoo Fire Shrimp

+1
    and if you get a mag float make sure you keep it away from the substrate! If sand gets in there it will scratch the glass (or acrylic) :)

6. LukeSchnabel

LukeSchnabel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks for the info, the RO unit is out of type question for now, I have the ability to get RO water from my fathers house also.
    Correction- I have a heating element, it keeps my tank steady 68 but I will buy a seperate heater for a 15 gallon to put in sump to boost temp to about 70...

I'm thinking of getting a powerhead wave maker and a few large pieces of live rock as well? Will this make any problems with my cycle if I add 15 lbs of rock. I want to add 5-10 lbs of rock to my sump, they will be small pieces.

Any type of chemicals I should buy?

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

68? burr ! I keep mine at 78 -- follow those links I dropped you above.

8. Click Here!

9. LukeSchnabel

My bio balls of just floating atop the water till tomorrow then I designed a trap in which they will be in A) my overflow box and B) in my sump along side scrubbers.

10. VooDoo

VooDoo Fire Shrimp

ok well if you are using the bio balls just make sure you watch those nitrates! As far as the live rock goes I would add it now during your cycle that way you wont need to cure the rock! And he is correct, 68 is a bit cold ;)

11. LukeSchnabel

Correction. My tank stays a cool 78. Sorry guys

My problem with the green slime seems to have slowed, actually I sucked it all off with a chicken blaster and I now have my light come on for just 3.5 hrs a day since I don't have any corals. I guess having little to no light during your cycles help prevent algae growth. I have been a member of diffenrt forums for other things and ive found that gathering knowledge from alot of people online is the way to learn a lot of things fast.

Thanks to all who are taking an intrest into my thread

12. VooDoo

VooDoo Fire Shrimp

+1
    That is by far the best thing you could do is research! Specially before you buy a fish or coral :)