7 Days in and something is growing

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by LukeSchnabel, Apr 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LukeSchnabel

LukeSchnabel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok so I just started my 75 gallon saltwater tank. Never done this before. I have 65lbs of LR, 6 hermits, 2 clowns and a starfish. It's been 7 days with water in, and 3 days with the rock and the above animals. All my levels are to par, I'm not noticing a change in anything every 2 days. Now I have green mucus slime stuff growing all over some of my rock, also the stuff seems to be producing clear bubbles. it looks green in water and dark brownish almost black out of water. When I pull some off it looks like ink.

Please help, I'm new to this and want to pick up this hobby so bad! :(0

Picture coming tomorrow

2. Click Here!

3. Zander

Zander Spaghetti Worm

Your tank is cycling, why did you stock it with fish?

4. LukeSchnabel

I was told i could put clowns in while it's cycling to produce some sort of ammonia. Hermits and starfish ended up in LR for free :)

5. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

Clowns are pretty tough, but it is still a risk to them to cycle with them in... it does help to cycle with ready live rock, but you're seeing one of the effects...

Probably cyanobacteria, but possibly dinoflagellates or diatoms, all of which thrive when the amount nutrients in the water are too high. You can suction it out, that will remove some of the nutrients out, but it will continue to grow until the cycle is complete. Normal.

You might want to consider returning the clowns for a few weeks just in case, and instead throw a raw dead food shrimp like the kind people eat in there, that will produce all the ammonia you need (and not kill anything) .

We didn't have anything except LR in there during the cycle, and the me and the kids had fun just looking for all the critters on the live rock...worms, feather dusters, pods, amphipods, snails, some kinds of flatworms, etc. (nighttime was best!)

6. kreator

kreator Flamingo Tongue

Stick to this site for good advise:). My tank has only been up for 4 months, but the hardest part of starting a reef is letting the cycle complete. I am not a person that likes to rush, but omg it was so hard to sit there week after week and stare at that rock!

Trust me it's so worth it though, I remember reading something someone posted that said, you don't just want your livestock to survive, you want them to thrive!

7. VooDoo

VooDoo Fire Shrimp

Well, If it's slimy it's most def NOT Diatoms. If you can I would see if you could take the fish back to your LFS and if they wont credit you maybe they can hold them for you untill your cycle is done. They will go through poisoning due to the high amount of AMM and TRITE.You CAN do a cycle with fish but of course, it is highly recommended that you use a piece of raw shrimp for the AMM source. Clowns are very hardy but the spike in AMM will be really high, between 4.0-8.0 so you will be lucky if they live through that. If they do it will shorten the life span of the fish dramatically. Just a thought :)

8. Click Here!

9. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Welcome to 3Reef ! sorry to read/hear that you have been given some bad advice.

Please see these links for some reference on a tank cycle, what to expect.

Reef Cycle:
    Nitrogen Cycle

Reef Tank Parameters:
    Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
    Randy’s tank basics:
    Part I: Part I
    Part II: Part II
    Part III: Part III
    Part IV: Part IV

Honestly, I think the damage has already been done to the clowns and star (agree, clowns are tough). If it were me I would just let it be and don't mess with it until well after it cycles. Pull the star out when it dies, there is already enough decay in the tank. Same with the clowns if they die pull and flush. If the LFS will take them back consider this option. Good luck to you. again, my advice is let it be and cycle, then wait another 2-3 weeks to let it mature before doing anything. And of course we are all here to help you any time of day ! 3Reef rocks !

10. 1babelove

1babelove Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Glown Fish are tough but that is not the best thing to do. IMO it is tortue on the fish :-[ with the amonia spikes that are going to occur.
    The tank needs to be cycled with Raw Shrimp. See if your LFS is willing to hold them why the tank cycles.

11. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Actually since he has live rock in the tank he wouldn't have needed the raw shrimp either......

12. LukeSchnabel

Hey guys thanks for the help, I will talk to the guy who sold me the fish and see what he can do for me. He seems reasonable and will help me out. I will be going to an exhibit this weekend to shop around. Let me list everything I have right now.
    75 gallon tank
    20 gallon tank(sump)
    550gph hang on back filter
    740 gph pump (sump)
    Aquamaxx 100-300gal protien skimmer
    650gph overflow box
    Light setup (2-250watt MH, 2-54watt T5, 6-led)
    Reef master test kit and saltwater master test kit
    Bio balls
    65lbs live rock
    Few hermits, 1 star fish and 2 clowns.

I would like to know what I should get at this expo, i need sand for my sump for sure