6x54w T5 Retrofit for 90 Gal with SPS

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by rcflyer1388, Jun 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

My latest dilemma with my tank is that one of my Evergrow LED units decided to take a dump after about an year of service :-(. Currently I have the 2 evergrow units and 4x54w T5 retrofit lights over my tank. I'm thinking of dumping the 2nd evergrow unit and just order up another 2x54w T5 retrofits in it's place. Would you guys think that will be enough lighting to grow out sps? I don't want to really throw the money on an ATI 8x54w fixture since I just built this canopy and all. I have been reading that a 6x54w ATI sunpower unit is enough to grow sps "from the sand." So I figure the same should apply if I add another 2 bulbs using the retrofit from BRS.

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

6×54 T5 will grow sps very well. Use quality bulbs though

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  4. rcflyer1388

I'm using only ATI bulbs currently on the 4 bulbs I have installed now. Thanks for the input though. I was worried that the 6 bulbs might not be enough since these Evergrow LED's are actually pretty bright suprisingly.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That should work just fine.

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I wouldn't be surprised if you get better growth from the 6 T5's

7. rcflyer1388

I was thinking the same as well because ever since I added the T5's along with the LEDs, there was a noticable difference in growth. It wasn't bad growth with the LEDs only either.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I've seen led lights grow corals really well so it's always debatable. My first reef tank was a 36 bow front with 6x36 watt T5 setup and I grew coral like crazy. I went to halides and T5 with my current 75 reef and the growth is really amazing. I love the natural shimmer I get plus that awesome T5 glow. I had to buy a chiller but to me it's well worth it. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with the 6 T5's.

10. rcflyer1388

LEDs definitely work without a doubt. I'm going full T5 more because of reliability that I don't think LED units are fully there yet like I would like them to be. It's really a luck of the draw with some of these units unless you want to spend thousands on lighting. They are definitely going to be the future of this hobby and lighting as they start making them better and better. But for the time being that "T5 glow" does make the tank stand out nicely :). Can't wait for this new pair of fixtures come in to make my total 6. My biggest concern was not having sufficient lighting to provide to the SPS. Being the great forum that this is, there's always knowledgable people that don't mind sharing information and answer question.

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I ran 4 T5HO on my 75 and had great growth and color. I found I needed to shorten the photo period to get the best color. I used 2 ATI BP and 2 ATI CP.

12. rcflyer1388

this morning I finally installed the final 2 54w T5s and removed the Evergrow LED units. The tank looks a bit brighter now and coverage seems a little better. I'm going with all ATI bulbs. 2 blue plus and 4 coral plus. Hoping that overall I made the better move to T5s. I love the color it provides.