65 gallon upgrade - New FTS #127

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by oldfishkeeper, Jul 11, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Ok, I think the best thing for me to do is to start a build thread so I can get awesome advice from all of the experienced reefers on here!!

I just ordered my new 65 gallon wide tank yesterday. It will be replacing my 54 gallon corner tank (with all hang on filtration). A friend of ours is building the stand and sump. Spoke to him last night and he will also be building the skimmer for me as well as doing the plumbing! Obviously I will be paying him but he does awesome work (is a carpenter by trade) and is also a fellow hobbyist without a tank at the moment. I'm sure what he will charge me will be very fair.

So, this tank will have a sump and I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a drilled tank works. I told him that the sump should be equivalent to a 29 long. I told him I planned on using a filter sock. From what I've read from many on here that is a common method. I also told him I need three chambers in the sump. My plan right now is skimmer/cheato-rubble/return.

My plan is to use my sand and rock from the 54 as well as my lights. I have a 36 inch 4 bulb T5 unit that should fit on the new tank. I will plan on keeping all of my current live stock and once the new tank is here, move the old tank out and put the new tank in its place. I also think I will order a wp-25 to have with my koralias and my MJ that are in the tank now because I know I need more flow.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Congrats OFK!!! So happy for you. I'm following this build. I can't wait to go with sump filtration.

4. oldfishkeeper

thx Dennis! It should be up by the end of August is my tentative plan but we all know how builds go - snags along the way......(knock on wood)

5. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Congrats! I can't wait to see it!

Just a side note: I wouldn't transfer more than a little scoop of your current sand into the new tank. It's probably filled with nitrates :p

6. oldfishkeeper

It might be but I'm planning on rinsing it and seeding it with a cup of live. The current sand bed is only 7 or 8 months old if that......thx for the input Cam! Are you having a good summer? :)

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Congratulations on the new tank, OFK! Can't wait to see it stocked. ;)

Your sand is fine. If you want to rinse it, use old tank water. That way it won't need to be seeded.

FWIW, sand is not a Nitrate absorbent... it's sand. If it were from a neglected system known for long-term nutrient issues, then it might be a concern.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

Thanks Mr. Bill! In blue was my old sand bed ;)

10. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

It should be fine ;) And I've had a pretty good summer so far.

11. Rarend99

Rarend99 Coral Banded Shrimp

Congrats on the new tank and welcome to the overflow world :D
    Theyre pretty simple and make life so much easier in reef tanks!

12. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

My new tank is my 1st ever overflow, I was very excited, and a little cautious too, i don't know why but in my over flow there are no pipes sticking up, the bullheads are in the base, so the water fall is pretty spectacular, most other tanks I have seen have 1 or 2 inch pipes inside the over flow.
    I filled the void with 300 bio balls in bags, to quieten the crashing water noise down, I will try and do a video thing on YouTube if anyone is interested..............
    Good news on the new set up, Mister Fishkeeper.