60 lbs of florida live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Kyfishguy, Dec 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kyfishguy

Kyfishguy Astrea Snail

I purchased 60lbs off of floridaliverock.com shipped air freight and threw it in a cycled 75 gallon tank with about 40lbs of live dry rock and 40 lbs of live dry sand.

It came with a free snail which I have left in there.

would it be safe to say that if there is a huge dieoff/cycle that snail will die?

Im trying to avoid buying an ammonia test kit.

I was thinking if that snail is still alive in 1 week from when i put the rock in that its safe...

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

You will need the test kits down the road almost guaranteed. So why avoid buying it now? This hobby is anything but inexpensive haha so just get used to spending gobs of money.

4. Kyfishguy

Kyfishguy Astrea Snail

typically you dont need an ammonia test kit thats why i hate wasting money for a handful of tests

in my financial world every dollar counts especially since im juggling 6 various tanks

this is the first time ive bought live rock online

5. spongebob

spongebob Flamingo Tongue

I just got 45lbs of live rock.I was told you had to cure it.This is where you wash the rock in new salt water scrub off dead stuff (this was the hardest part for me i like the stuff on the rock).Than you are supost to put it in a tupperware tub w new water with water flow.Than test water and do water changes if it the ammonia is high for like a week (i only made it 5 days and my fish were fine).
    This is because there is supost to be a huge ammonia spike.If you are just setting up with nothing in there you should be ok but i would get the test kit. Now in saying this i am going off the top of my head and it was a while ago but that is the jest of it because in shipping theres alot of die off.