60 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by snefanie, Aug 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. snefanie

snefanie Plankton

We have a 60 gallon freshwater tank that is set up and we have no idea what kind of fish to put in it. Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

I used to have African Cichlids. I really enjoyed them, they were very colorful and always up to something. It just depends what your tastes are and how much effort you want to put in. Depending on what you are looking for, you can make it as simple or elaborate as you would like. For example with the cichlids I had they liked places to hide and things like that. My setup for them was very similar in looks to a SW tank in that it had a sand bottom, lots of aquascaping(rocks with caves and tunnels etc..) and I even changed lighting to really make the colors on the fish show. Everyone on here will tell you take your time, do some research, and don't be afraid to ask questions. This forum is a great resource. If you aren't familiar with fish, go to a local fish store and see what they have. See what catches your eye and then do some research on them.

4. snefanie

snefanie Plankton

I really like the paridise fish, but I'm not sure what would go well with them or how many I could I hear the males are pretty agressive and we would like this to be a community tank, we have pea rock for subterain and fake plants, not sure we could handle cichlids since the tank is at my parents house we normally are not there on Mondays and Tuesdays so need something a little more heardy

5. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

Paradise fish are pretty territorial. They will eat smaller fish and attack other fish that "challenge" their territory. Definitely don't put more than one male. I've heard of people keeping small groups of females, but males no. With a 60 gallon, you might be able to get away with a community type tank, but there will need to be plenty of cover. Also, I would steer away from any slow moving or small fish and nothing that resembles a paradise fish(i.e. gouramis, bettas). In my opinion, I would steer away from the paradise until you feel like you have time to monitor them and can observe how they are behaving.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I moved this to the freshwater board for fish...

I am partial to cichlids too but I love planted tanks too with schools of neons (I think there is another type too, my memory is foggy here)... what type of environment do you want? That may help choose fish..

matt