6 month growth (Ponape Birsdnest) (3/23)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Kevin_E, Jan 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

10/09/2012:
    [​IMG]

01/19/2013:
    [​IMG]

01/19/2013:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

The frag is no taller than a finger, btw.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Looks pretty good.

In my experience as the frags get bigger they grow faster. More surface area seems to help.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That makes sense and I hope that's the case. In fact, I've noticed several (5-10) branching stumps (small pumps) on the frag, so it should significantly increase in size over the next several weeks. Some of them are slightly noticeable in the bottom photo.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

How much does suspended particles effect growth and PE? I seem to have a lot of fine, viable particles in my water column.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

In theory it should increase growth and PE, as there is more potential food for the coral to grab, however that goes down the drain if its negatively effecting your water quality. I'd say good growth, a little bit retracted PE, and a little bit white.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. The true color didn't quite come across. I agree that it's a little white, but not nearly as white as it looks here. Most of the white in the photo is actually green.

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Well then in that case i wouldn't worry, how are your other SPS growing?

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

The polyps towards the end are a little white before reaching the pink tips. My montis are growing (white growth ends), but nothing overly fast. The birdsnest has probably grown the fastest. I still can't get softies to grow in my tank. They look very healthy and nice, just don't grow (GSP haven't grown at all in 7 months, maybe 4 new mushrooms and a couple new zoa heads in that time span). There is something limiting growth in my tank and I really can't figure out what it is. The only think I don't test for is phosphate, so I assume that's the culprit, but there isn't a speck of algae in the tank besides the little growing on my power-head. I have an acro and a branching monti frag that has been in the tank for 4 weeks and hasn't grown any tissue onto the rock they are glued on yet. Color has improved on the acro though.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

White polyps near the tips just mean its growing, birdsnests are imo one of the fastest growing sps, 2nd only to staghorns. Remember almost every tank struggles with one type of coral. I've seen tanks that can keep any type of acro, but xenia melts away. In mine LPS is the "struggle" coral but thats because i have 120X turnover in a 14 gal. Even with 0 phosphates i find every now and then a small bit of algae grows on that one spot of my powerhead. It cant hurt to test though, i would suggest the hanna phosphate tester.