58,000 Gallons of Fuel Oil into San Francisco Bay

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 8, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

This one is very personal. I live in Pt. Richmond, Ca. It is on the east side of San Francisco Bay. I have lived here for 7 years and love the Bay Area. It is truly one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Last February I bought a small sailboat. According to my logs, I have sailed almost 30 times now in San Francisco Bay. In spite of what some people think, the Bay is teaming with life. Seals, rays, numerous fish, I've even seen the occasional porpoise arching over the water line from my boat.

Now this all changes. Yesterday a container ship hit the Bay Bridge in the fog and dumped 58,000 gallons of fuel oil into the bay. Fuel oil is the nastiest oil there is - it does not degrade easily.

I am not a bleeding heart liberal. I grew up in Chicago. I live within a mile of an oil refinery. I understand and support this country's needs for oil. Staying out of politics, all I am going to say is it is a real shame that double hulled ships are not required (*EDIT SEE END OF POST). I don't get it. Oh yeah I do, it's about the money stupid. Well look at these pics. I am devastated. And so is our bay.

[​IMG]
    Alcatraz

[​IMG]
    Golden Gate Bridge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More photos:
    SF Gate: Multimedia (image)

More:
    Spill closes bay beaches as oil spreads, kills wildlife

Double Hulled Ships

It looks like Ziggy was right, double hulled ships ARE required for all NEW tankers that are built. However old single hull tankers can go anywhere in the world except California where tankers are required to do business with double hulls.

HOWEVER, container ships like the one that crashed last week, ARE NOT required to be double hulled.

Yet my friends tell me this one was? I find that hard to believe if that is the case as I thought it would afford them protection in these type of crashes! :-/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

4. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

:furious3: Man what a shame, I like to go out a lot in my boat down here in South Florida, I cant imagine that happening here, This happening anywhere is very sad.

5. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

thats quite tragic!!! why is a ship navigating under a bridge in fog anyway . Seems silly that money yes once again comes before nature ..Very bad i hope someone gets in the poo for that !!!!

6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

people unfortunately have a short attension span.that and money is why double hulls are not required.i actually thought they already were.sorry,i don't handle sights like that well.i have'nt been able to eat any bass that i catch in streams in western pa in 8 yrs.seems pollution laws have been very lax.at least the oil was'nt dumped on purpose like our left over insecticides and such.

1 person likes this.
  7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

One more time,

[​IMG]

I am sooo, embarrassed to be a human. :-[

8. Click Here!

9. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

I too live in the bay area and this is sad that something like this could have been prevented. Double hulls and the point someone made about not navigating under a bridge in fog would seem like common sense. It's too bad that doesn't always come into play. I work at the refinery you refer to Matt so I'm obviously not against oil companies but we have a lot of rules at work that protect the environment. The captain of this ship wansn't even tested for alcohol or drugs until almost 17 hours later. Can't help but feel that this shipping companies insurance paying for the cleanup will come far short of fixing the damage.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Small world TC. And a world in pain. :worried:
    This hurts. I will be seriously hurting at work tomorrow too. I am in shock still and awake! I was just at the club where my boat is and thinking of the tide coming in with that oil. That is too much.

11. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

I was in the area today and I gotta tell you, it was nasty. What worries me though, I hope it doesn't go all the way to the waters under or near the Dumbarton or San Mateo Bridge, 'cause that area is full of young marine life, is one of the biggest refuges for baby sharks, rays, etc etc. The water is rich with plankton and other food sources for the new borns,etc. My Oceanography teacher from college must be flipping. Well, most of the BA residents are.
    I wonder what happened to the sea lions that rest by peir 39. I wonder if they're ok.

Matt, any idea if they'll be needing volunteers to clean this mess up? I wonder who/where I could call to find out.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

As soon as I know I will post.
    My first guess would be that these guys know:
    Home Save The Bay

Yep. Here:

Largest Oil Spill in a Decade Threatens San Francisco Bay! Save The Bay