55g tanks cloudy for 3wks

Discussion in 'Algae' started by lumbee4live, Aug 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lumbee4live

lumbee4live Plankton

Fish tanks has been cloudy for 3wks. Water tested perfect except for nitrites was in the unsafe zone. The tank has been set up for 7mo with no problem. Also i haven't lost no fish except for a snail. i have did 2 25% and 2 10% water changes over the pass 3wks. The water is a milky white, the employees at petsmart said it was a bacterial bloom so i vacuumed out tank not the entire tank i didnt vacuum the whole tank just half. I changed the filter 3days after i did the first water change and i did the second 10% water change 5days after i changed the filters. The filters have been in for 10days and i checked them today and the water is not flowing through the filter because they are clogged up very bad with a black gunk like stuff the filter and biological filter both are clogged so the water is overflowing between the filter and not going through the filter. I cleaned the filters a little so the water would flow through the filter but that only lasted for 2days and they was clogged again i cleaned it with the water from the water change. So what is the black stuff because there is a lot of it?? and what could be causing the milky water?? thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

First is this a saltwater tank? If your Nitrites are testing high then your params are far from perfect with a 7mo system. Something has caused a cycle to kick in.

How old is the test kit, and what are your numbers? Perfect doesn't paint a clear enough picture. Not trying to be rude we just need a little more info than what was given.

4. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

Are you sure you mean nitrite and not nitrate? What kind of filter are you using? Are you adding any supplements? How many fish do you have? How much live rock? You may need to clean the filters daily to help clear some of this stuff out.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

run carbon in a reactor. I had a phyto bloom that was so bad i couldnt see the rock in my tank, carbon cleared it overnight.

6. lumbee4live

lumbee4live Plankton

OK the tank is freshwater. the water was tested at petsmart my test kit is and the numbers are nitrate 0, nitrite .5, pH 6.2 and ammonia 0. the filter is a aqua-tech 30-60 and i haven't used any supplement because from my own research most cloudy water issues will usually clear up on there own without using any products. So i cant clean the filters but isn't the black stuff the biological filter?? and i am trying to learn this is my first problem ever so i do not take offense to anything said.

7. lumbee4live

lumbee4live Plankton

Also what could have caused a new cycle to kick in??

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

A bacterial bloom usually results from there not being enough surface area for the bacteria to colonize, so they are forced into the water cloumn. What type of substrate are you using? Any sort of rock/logs in the tank? How many fish do you have? Any pics?

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Adding too many fish too quickly.

11. lumbee4live

lumbee4live Plankton

what is substrate?? yes there is 2 big rocks and 4 artificial plants in the tank. there is 14 fish and no new fish have been added. i will take a picture and add it today.

12. lumbee4live

lumbee4live Plankton

OK i don't know why i didn't Google instead asking a dumb question substrate is the rocks i use. they are like green and blue pebbles about 2in think.