55G stocking

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Pinoyxprss, Aug 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pinoyxprss

Pinoyxprss Plankton

Guy, i wanted input on stocking my 55G, i'm new in the hobby, I have been reading and still have very little understanding of different type of fishes.

Here's my equipment, 55gallon long, topfin 60 filter. I want to keep the fishes under 3 inches if all possible, I would also like lots of colors.

I'm looking at a
    pleco,
    red wag platy,
    golden dojo,
    red gold tuxedo guppy,
    yellow and torquise guppy,
    long fined red minor tetra,
    fancy guppy

This is just a list made and picked by me and my wife, I know some fishes cant be mixed with others. Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The pleco will grow over 3 inches as will the dojo. The pleco is the only one that will out grow the tank depending on species. I suggest you look up plecostomus on the web to see which one you would like and if it will fit in your tank.

The list should be fine together. The Tetra may nip at the guppies' fins.

4. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

most off those fish are peaceful and should be good. but i just want to say dojo loaches are my al time favorite FW fish they have great personallitys and are really fun to watch.
    you could do a small school of tetras 4-6 fish
    common plecos get two feet long so u should ask the person you by the fish from about the species of pleco a good pleco for your tank would be rubber lip pleco
    also if you want a pleco i would wait until you see algea because the pleco will probily starve
    good luck with the tank

5. Pinoyxprss

Pinoyxprss Plankton

So pleco and dojo is out, how much fish can i actually place, can i mix species like 2 of each Fish on the list? Thanx

6. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

you can have a school of tetras 4-5
    and you can have two red wag platys
    i dont no anything about guppies though

7. Pinoyxprss

Pinoyxprss Plankton

For the setup, I've had the tank running about three days now, i have two jag cichlid and a pleco in it, but already sold so those are going, should i re-cycle or just keep it ad it is and ad the new community?

8. Click Here!

9. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

check the water and if its good you should be fine add fish sowly though so mabye 3 fish at a time ,unless the fish are in a school then you could add 5 schooling fish at a time

10. Pinoyxprss

Pinoyxprss Plankton

I was watching the golden dojo, this fish are awesone, specially the adult, i think its asult, its about 4" long. They just skim at the bottom of the tank all day. Are they safe to have around other fish? I know the pleco have the tendency to suck on fishes at night, does the dojo do the same thing?

11. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

no dojos dont do that and accually dojo arent like other bottom dwelling fish they are very active and do really funny antics
    oh yay if you get one dont freak out if it disapears for a day mine use to do this all the time he is just hanging out inside your decorations if your decorations are hollow

12. Pinoyxprss

Pinoyxprss Plankton

Can someone tell me if this behaviour is normal.
    Fish has been in tank for three days, tank has been running for six, three goldies, 2 koi, 1 black moor, two of the GF stays in bottom left of tank, one GF on top middle, two koi just stays hidden when someone is around tank but when your far enough they will go crazy and swim around hitting rocks and glass and sometimes bottom if tank, GF's does this two but lest often than koi's. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6756gQi2A0k&feature=youtube_gdata_player