55G diy stand, with pics!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by benbabcock, Jul 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

So, i made a stand for my 55G. it is a 4x4 and 2x4 frame with 1/4" ply skin and 3/4" on the top where the aquarium will rest. i decided to plan it so i did not need a center support, giving me easy access to the sump below, hence the 4x4. they are notched on the top and bottom to accommodate a 2x4 flush(pic 1). whole thing was build for a 'lil under 100$. feels REALLY sturdy but not so level, needs a coat of paint and some doors and its good to go.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Im no carpenter, Ben Babcock

but that looks like a nice , clean and tidy job to me
    I take it there will be a front loaded sump under there?

Steve

4. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

there a big jump for pic 3 to pic 4 lol but other than that it looks good. what stain color are you using. i like brickstone the semi-solid not semi-transparent

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

6. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

hi all. between 3-4 there is just a 1/4" plywood skin and molding. i stained it in a nice dark red to match my living room rug and couch but it was a Gel type stain which i had never used before. needless to say it was a disaster and i repainted it in a aqua blue to match the display wall. it still needs doors but that will be really easy (just gunna use plywood and molding). i also bought a 1-1/4" spade bit to drill it for my overflow and return.

Thanks for the comments,

Ben

Attached Files:

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

8. Click Here!

9. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Nice work, looks very sturdy. The funny thing I built my stand 2 years ago the same way with the 4x4's and the same joints. And then painted it the same color. I was going to do black but my wife didnt want black so she chose that same color. One of the few times I am glad I listened to her;D