55g Build.. *first SW tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nyvw, Dec 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Hey guys, ive been checking out the site nonstop for the past 2 months and and decided to make the move from fw to sw. Ive decided to do a FOWLR tank then down the road add a few corals. ATM, i have a 20g setup with a gsp that i want to acclimate to the sw tank. I imagine that he wont do well with any type of corals and most other species of fish so im kinda stuck on what to do with him for now, knowing that he shouldnt be in the fw tank. anyway onto the build so far..

I picked up a 55g tank with a stand and lights off craigslist. The stand turned out to be in much worse condition than i thought, plus i wanted to make extra room under the dt, for a sump. so i tore that thing up and ended up building a custom stand, reusing just the doors from the old one.

Here is the stand so far as of today. Obviously still needs to be trimmed up and stained. But mostly finished.
    [​IMG]

The tank is another story, i bought it know that it was dirty and had algae on it and i figured it would be all that bad to clean, boy was i wrong... a few blades and about an hour later and its still not clean, plus its scratched to ish! im thinking about scrapping the tank and buying a new 55g from petland as they have a $1/gallon sale on there tanks right now, might as well start with a brand new tank... so much for the craigslist deal i thought i got.

It did come with some nice lights though, a retrofit ahsupply 2x55w setup. Im guessing this will be sufficient for a fowlr tank but if i want corals im pretty sure ill have to upgrade. Also i know im going to need new bulbs as the previous owner used these to grow fw plants, any suggestions?
    The lights
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a glass-holes overflow kit on the way this week and plan on drilling the tank. I'm a very mechanically inclined and handy person so im not worried about drilling the tank. Should be interesting.

Under the tank im planning on running an aqueon proflex sump, i was going to build my own but i saw those and they look really good, plus i dont see too many reviews on them so i figure ill try it out and see what happens.. hopefully it works out lol it wasnt too cheap, as im sure you guys know. Im going to put a skimmer and the heater in there for now until i get everything figured out. Im going to order a ro/di system this week also, not sure what to get though.

One question i have though is once im ready to start cycling the tank, should i put just base rock in, and let it cylce? or can i put some uncured live rock in to help seed it? im kind of confused on cyclying with live rock or what exactly is the best way to do this.

TIA for any help guys :cheesy:

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Is the LR you have right now in saltwater with at least an air stone? If you do this, then you can save the rock and then put all of the rock that you have in your tank when you go to set it up. By keeping the LR wet, you can maintain all the bacteria on it and you shouldn't have much a cycle at all. Good Luck to you.

4. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Nice stand build I would just make sure the tank is on load bearing spots since the stand is larger than the tank. You wont want it on just plywood imo. Hope that makes sense

1 person likes this.
  5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is a very good point though. If it isn't, you could help support the tank by adding some 2x4's under the plywood. ;D

6. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Yea the stand is framed out and can deffinitely hold the weight no problem. I put two 2x4's on the corners and have supports in the middle. There is also a 2x4's boxed around the top and a sheet of plywood is going on the top of the stand to finish it off.

[​IMG]

As far as the live rock, i havent purchased anything yet.. Should i? and then mix some salt water and put it in a big trash can or something with a heater and powerhead?

7. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

Maybe I missed you mentioning it, but it looks like you are missing the bracing from the top of the tank. I've got the same tank, and it has a plastic frame around the top with a brace in the middle. I don't think I'd use it without that bracing.

8. Click Here!

9. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I agree with scad w/o brace I wouldn't use it.

10. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Yea i have the brace, i took it off to try and clean the tank better and im going to re-apply some silicone and put it back on. It doesnt have a center brace though like you speak of, it just goes around the tank. Any thought on the light setup that i have? im sure im going to need some new bulbs

11. ilikespam

ilikespam Feather Duster

Save yourself some stress,time and money by buying a new top brace with the center support.They are like $15 and your lfs can order you one.I have never seen a 55 without a top brace.

You can probably grow soft corals with that fixture as long as you get new bulbs.Use atleast a 10k and a 420 actinic thats how the numbers are for a t5 bulb so you would need to find out what to get with the pc bulbs.

12. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

The only advice I can give is dont put any non reef safe fish. They'll be a pain to remove later on when you add corals.