55 Hex Walk Around

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by BayNights, Feb 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BayNights

BayNights Astrea Snail

Check it out. Latest project is a custom 55 gallon acrylic walk around tank. I wanted to design a tank with no cords, wires or pumps hanging in site. I also wanted to be able to walk 360 degrees around it and see the reef. I bought a 55 gal hex and got to work building a stand and hood out of wood and a 35 gal sump out of a leaf bin. I drilled a hold in the center of the tank and hid the flow returns in the intake pipe. I'm still working on building the rest of the reef to hide the pipe but you should get a pretty good idea. Here's some pics.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. BayNights

BayNights Astrea Snail

Here's a night shot.

Attached Files:

4. BayNights

BayNights Astrea Snail

Here's the sump. Berlin skimmer and a rio 1300 gph pump!

Attached Files:

5. BayNights

BayNights Astrea Snail

I have a yellowband maroon clown in the tank, I have this anemone. Why does the clown hang out on the opposite end of the tank? I have no idea. Don't think he's even seen it yet.

Attached Files:

6. BayNights

BayNights Astrea Snail

The ugly beginnings. This was a project for quite awhile. If you look close you can see the two return nozzles in the tank. The first one is mostly hidden in the rocks but is half way up the pipe. The second one is on the opposite side near the top. I have both running through a big check valve. Let's just say if I have any problems with the check, I'll let you know. 1300 gph runs through them.

Attached Files:

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hey, I voted for Cool (but I don't like the 'seen better' comment ;D)

I think there is great potential! I guess you will be adding frags and such to the center mound? That will be cool!

Also, a little more rubble and such in the substrate, or clams ;D for variety in appearance...JMO!!!!

I can't wait to see it in 6 months!!!! That is a cool concept and you have obviously spent a lot of thought and time in creating it!

The night shot is awesome! I like how all sided are viewable... ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The plumbing kicks butt! Clean design. Nice job. :) 8)

My 2 cents would be to yank out that caulerpa unless you REALLY like it. It will grow over everything. With your halide that's going to take over fast and will be impossible to remove when it clamps down. I just went through that in my tank. I used tweezers and everything.. then I got a FoxFace fish and luckily he pounded on it.

OVerall, looks nice Jason! You're psyched!
    I'll have to come see it in person soon. ;) :)

matt

10. Guest

Guest Guest

;DI think that the tank will impove if you put a green hermaphidite juvinile in to keep things fun.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Great job!! A great idea, nice to view the tank from all angles. You should take this great idea and go into business!! ;D

12. Olyoxenfree

Olyoxenfree Astrea Snail