55 gallon sump build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by rkaragozler, Feb 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

It would really depend on the skimmer. On a 90g say, with common skimmers, there is little info on water flows. But mine does around say 350gph. Well my return is probably doing maybe 500-600 gph. I have about 100 gph goin to the fuge. So not much water is getting by. But there is no reason to have high flow rates through he sump. All you need is enough to supply the skimmer. (and fuge) More than enough it will not skim all, less than enough and it will sort of recirc. But it totally depends on the user setting it up properly.

Any type of spray type skimmer that use big seperate pumps process much more water.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So here is the thing.... if a skimmer is putting out micro bubbles, it is usually mixed in the water and under the surface. Getting the bubbles to the surface is where most will pop. So if you flow your water out the bottom first, it is easier to suck those bubbles out. The first over, redirects downward, the last over forces the bubble to the surface once more..... if this is going to your return section.... you want the bubbles on the surface where they will not be sucked up by the return pump. I hate MB too. My skimmer puts out some, but my traps are effective and none are in the return section.

Heres the deal... you have a 55g so it's nice and long. The wider the bubble trap the slower the velocity through them, and the more effective the are. So make them say 2" apart, for a total of 4" if you are really concerned. Mine are 3" total.

Here is a write up I di about flow through your sump/fuge. Give it a read.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-articles-how-tos/all-about-sumps-filters-fuges-79852.html

4. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

I know its not ideal,BUT if the micro bubbles still dont seem to get better with the close baffles,you could try and place a lg filter sponge in between 2 baffles to help catch them..One draw back is another thing to keep clean..and as of your design I used that firs then switched to the fuge (fed by "T")on one side skimmer in middle and return on other side..fuge just over flow into skimmer section,and return dand drain is into skimmer section to..I have had better success with it this way..HTH..

5. rkaragozler

rkaragozler Astrea Snail

Powerman it does make sense to make the baffles over under over, I will redesign my sump that way, and also transfer the fuge to the right, and have the return in the center. Ok as far as the skimmer i use a mag 18 on it it produces 1800 GPH, and my return pumpr is a hydrive 2800, which produces 2800 GPG, I am running this on a 175 Gallon bow front with 4 overflows at 800 GPH each.I will post new design later to clarify.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Look at what your return pump does with the head pressure you will have. The GPH should be lower unless that number you gave is wi that. I had a Mag 7 on my EV-120. 700 gph, but talking with AquaC... they said probably 300 gph. Something like that. So your skimmer needs the pump, but it is not putting out max after it is restricted by the injector.

The over under over at least does away with the need for those sand keeper baffles. Also, I don't have any bubble traps on my fuge to the return.... but I also have a Herbie overflow which is bubbleless. So if you have a regular Durso type overflow, you may need them, or at least a sponge..... something to deal with them.

7. rkaragozler

rkaragozler Astrea Snail

My skimmer says it does 1200 GPH internal with a mag 18
    also I will be using the herbie as well once the sump is finished.
    here is the revised sump
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

ok,
    looks good, no need for the bubble trap on the fuge side though.

10. rkaragozler

rkaragozler Astrea Snail

why is that, wouldn't the dropping of the water from the baffle cause bubbles to drop down and get sucked by the return pump?

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

micro bubble stay suspended and do not readily pop to the surface. My water falls from my fuge maybe 5", no bubbles. But even if, they are not micros and won't make it to the return section. Plus fuge flow is only about 100ghp, so there is just a coating of water down the pane, not a torrent.

Is there a reason for the shorter inside baffles to your return section? By making them the height of the other outside baffle is allows the bubble traps to work better.

Say your skimmer side sets level in skimmer compartment. Water "overflows" into first downturn..... on the exit, if the return section is lower, then it allows any remaining MB to fall down the glass and the wash could carry them to the pump..... if you run your return section the same as your skimmer section.... then the last baffle does not get any remaining MBs to the surface to pop. Does that make sense?

The easiest thing to do is just go to the glass shop and tell them to make 3 panels the same size, then you just raise the middle one two inches. Just makes it easier than a bunch of different sized panels.

12. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

the sump looks good. i agree tho that you only need the 1st baffle or the fuge to hold the sand.
    going back to what i said last night about the skimmer possibly starving fuge, telgar is right in that it is unlikely that a skimmer can filter water at a pace that would deprive fuge of nutrients. but if i had the option that you have of creating your own sump/fuge i would try to maximize the filtration and every inch of sump, and doing the central return will achieve this.
    cant wait to see it when done.