55 gallon stand issues

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by kzziboy, Nov 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kzziboy

kzziboy Astrea Snail

Hi everybody,
    Some time back...a year or two ago, I built and followed EXACTLY plans off this forum for a 55 gallon stand.
    I neglected to leave enough room for a sump underneath. There's a brace that supports the 2 x 4 that runs horizontally across the back. That brace is in the way of me putting a sump under the stand.
    I read in the stand build thread that the builder removed it with no problem.
    Since then someone has said I probably shouldn't do that.
    Any thoughts? I posted a picture of the finished product below and also a picture taken from the building of the tank so it's easier to see how this thing is put together.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

If in doubt you could probably create a double 2x4 (or 2x6 for extra support) header supported by a couple of 2x4 uprights in the corners. You'll lose a little bit of headspace, but the tank won't go anywhere.

4. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

I built mine for my 75 with no center brace due to the fact that the corners take the load. Yours looks pretty similar to how I built mine. If i were you just remove the center brace, put the sump in and then put the brace back in to be safe.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

6. kzziboy

kzziboy Astrea Snail

Sorry to bug on this question again...I need to get this figured out soon.
    Please refer to the pictures of the stand again. The first is of the "skeleton" inside the stand. It's the "meat" of the stand and how it supports the weight. Imagine that the front stays completely the same and I REMOVE the center REAR BRACE ONLY. Is this possible with a full tank on the stand? A few people have told me its the corners that support the weight, not the center. Again, I only need to remove the center rear brace. The front one stays in place.
    I have already added two 2x4's at a 45 degree angle to strengthen the back horizontal 2x4 before I remove the brace.
    Taking this whole thing apart really isn't an option...(wife).
    HELP!

Attached Files:

7. kzziboy

kzziboy Astrea Snail

WAIT!!!
    Use this image for picturing the internal "meat" of the stand.
    Sorry.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. kzziboy

kzziboy Astrea Snail

Okay. I did it. I tore out the rear center brace....NO PROBLEM!! Whew!. Wait. Problem. I'm an idiot. I thought my sump would slip right in. No, not enough room. Now I have to pull out the FRONT center brace too. I'm going to wedge a brace in the front just to the right of where the current one is. Then I'll cut out the old one, slip the tank in and then replace the center brace with a new one I just made last night...already stained to match the stand.
    Good luck to me.

10. chelltom

chelltom Skunk Shrimp

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

worth repeating IMO. I don't see that anything has changed to change the advise.

ticking time bomb when you take the brace out. Put it back as soon as you can... I wouldn't leave it out for very long at all...

But you have that temp support there I guess... Good luck with it. Move fast, but not so fast you make mistakes ;) Good luck!!

12. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

I would honestly think that removing the brace may not go too terribly and I'm glad you have it figured out. The tank shouldn't sag in the middle by all logic so the weight would be evenly distributed across the whole top. It would put more weight on the corner braces, yes, but those things are stout. A full 55g could weight like 400-500 pounds full. if you are worried as you said, just put the braces back in. I would almost bet that with that being 48" long and the structure of that stand, you may not need them but better safe than sorry.